What do you do if you have just found out that your mother brought you across the border over 20 years ago?

If his mother brought him legally (he had a visa back then) then you can get married and he can file for adjustment of status. If she brought him illegaly, there isn't much he can do except go back to the country his mother brought him from and file for a visa there.