What happens if you take in a lot of vitamin A?

When too much of any vitamin or mineral is absorbed in to the body it is called a toxicity. If too much vitamin A is absorbed the toxicity symptoms are bone defects such as weakened bones or osteoporosis that can cause fractures and birth defects. Birth defects are less common but vitamin A supplements are not recommended during the first trimester of pregnancy. If there is a chronic vitamin A toxicity it can cause liver abnormalities. Acute toxicity symptoms include blurred vision, nausea, vomiting, vertigo, headaches, and pressure in the skull. The maximum amount of vitamin A that can be absorbed before symptoms may appear, or Upper Level, for adults is 3000 μg (micrograms) per day.