Asked in BakingCookiesPastries
What is a French Macaroon?
March 08, 2009 3:24AM
Macaroons are a good choice ; they are lovely little cookies.
Here is the basic recipe for 4 to 6 persons :
Ingredients : 225 gr [1/2 lb] ground almonds / 225 gr [1/2 lb] sugar /
4 egg whites.
Then you have to chose your flavor :
- for coffee flavor = 1 teaspoon coffee extract
- for vanilla flavor = 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- for fruit / berry flavour = 1 teaspoon fruit / berry extract…
- one original version : 1 teaspoon rum or fortified wine
- Mix the sugar and ground almonds.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and frothy
- Gently incorporate the egg whites to the preparation, then add the
- On a buttered baking tray, display small balls of paste, sizing as a
- Bake in preheated oven at 170°C / 325°F for 15 minutes ; take the
tray out and let cool down.
Macaroons can be eaten this way or filled. If you wish to fill them,
prepare the filling while they are cooling down.
- for fruit / berry ones, I suggest to simply spread a little marmalade
- for coffee or chocolate ones, I suggest to prepare a "ganache"
(sort of cream) ; in this case, simply boil 3 Tablespoons double cream
with some flavouring (1 oz plain black chocolate, 1 teaspoon coffee
extract, etc….) ; just taste your cream and adjust flavouring….
Whatever your chosen flavor(s), sandwich 2 macaroons together
with their fillings.