Asked in
History of England
English Language
Lakes and Rivers

What is the Saxon word for shallow river crossing?


User Avatar
Wiki User
January 20, 2008 8:16PM

The Oxford English Dictionary defines the word "ford" as "A shallow place in a river or other water, where a man or beast may cross by wading." They also cite its use in this sense by the Anglo-Saxon king Alfred the Great in the year 893 AD.