What is the history of birth control and sex education in Chicago?

Our history began with Margaret Sanger who advocated for birth control in the early 1900's, and led the movement to abolish federal and state laws prohibiting publication of information about sexuality, contraception and human reproduction. In 1916, Sanger opened the first birth control clinic, and founded Planned Parenthood Federation of America. In 1923, as the Illinois Birth Control League, we made family planning services available in Chicago, and continued to do so after incorporation as a Planned Parenthood affiliate in 1947. After contraception was legalized nationwide in 1965, PP/CA opened comprehensive reproductive health care centers citywide. In the 1970's we targeted education initiatives to teen populations, and in 1984, eleven years after Roe v. Wade made abortion legal, we made this service available in Chicago. Last year, PP/CA served over 23,000 medical clients, provided sexuality education to an additional 8,500 teens and young adults, and gave emergency counsel and referral to over 10,000 hotline callers. The agency serves over 41,000 people a year.