What percent of the worlds population speak English?
This is a hard question to answer because of the following reasons:
- People speak English as a second language are also registered in the percentage of people who speak English
- No organisations collecting the census of the populations of English speakers globally
However, some countries have run surveys in their individual countries to ask their citizens of the language they speak. Therefore, we can only know the percentage of English speakers of the individual country rather than the global percentage.
Note: Some people speak English as native language and for some, it is a second language.
The results are:
- 80%-100% (Majority) of people from USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UK, Ireland, the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Israel, Lebanon, Singapore, Jamaica, Guyana, Liberia and Sierra Leon speak English either as their native language or their second language.
- 60%-80% of people from Finland, Luxembourg, Switzerland and Cyprus can speak English.
- 40%-60% of people from Belgium, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Greece, Macedonia, Estonia, Cameroon, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Philippines, Papua New Guinea and Puerto Rico can speak English.
- 20%-40% of people from Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, South Africa and Malaysia can speak English.
- Less than 20% of people from the rest of the countries individually can speak English.
If 99 percent of population speak English 70 percent speak Hindi and 40 speack German then what will be the minimum population who speaks all the language?
According to the 2011 census, about 58 percent of the population reported that their mother tongue was English and English was most often spoken at home by 66 percent of the population. About 22 percent of the population reported that their mother tongue and the language spoken at home was French. The remaining 20 percent spoke another language besides English or French when at home, and English was by far the language of the work…
on 20080706, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language#Geographical_distribution , there are 375 Million native speakers. current world population is about 6.7 billion . that's 5.5%. depending on how you count second language proficiency, possibly 1.8 billion people speak English, or 27%.
I've seen estimates ranging from 100 million to 350 million (out of a population of 1.1 billion). The 100 million figure is probably for people who can speak fluently and close to the level of a native speaker. An estimated 4% of the Indian population use English; for the last date I have official data, in the 1981 census, 202,400 persons (0.3 percent of the population) gave English as their first language. Fewer than 1…