Citizenship and Marriage
Green Cards

What should you do if your U.S. citizen husband is extorting money from you to remain married so that you can get your green card?

User Avatar
Wiki User
November 23, 2008 3:07PM

: If you are a victim of domestic violence or psychological abuse (extortion might qualify too), you likely do not need to remain married to your spouse or pay him/her to get your green card. You do have options, so talk to an immigration attorney. There are likely to be low-cost immigration legal services available somewhere in your area. Ask around and search online. : In the meantime, you can look up the instructions to these forms at ("immigration forms" tab) to get an idea of what might fit your situation: I-360 (to file for status as a VAWA petitioner) or I-751 (using a battered spouse waiver). USCIS allows fee waivers for some forms.