Bankruptcy Law
Deforestation and Habitat Loss

What would happen if an illegal immigrant filed bankruptcy and then left the country?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2006-02-24 16:58:37
2006-02-24 16:58:37

A person within the U.S. illegally has limited legal rights therefore, a bankruptcy petition is not possible. Persons found to be unlawfully present for 1-12 months will be subject to deportation and barred from applying for legal entry for 3 years. Persons found to be unlawfully present in the U.S. for 12 months or longer are subject to deportation and barred from applying for reentrance for 10 years. Persons violating immigration laws who are apprehended by authorities are not eligible for bail and will be held in federal confinement until the trial date.


Related Questions

If an illegal immigrant is caught in America, there can be serious consequences. Most likely, the person will be kept in a detention center until they can be deported back to their home country.

You can get arrested, and you can also get killed.

The US citizen may cancel the I-130 petition, and the illegal will not be given permanent residency. If the immigrant entered illegally into the country, then it doesnt matter because marriage to a US citizen CANNOT help make the immigrant legal.

the child is a natural born citizen and a full citizen of the US

After due process, they will most likely be given a trip back to where they came from.

The Supreme Court recently allowed a group of illegal immigrants to receive worker's compensation so most likely, they can receive it.

If an undocumented (illegal) immigrant is married to a U.S. citizen, then they are a U.S. citizen. So their divorce from another U.S. citizen won't affect the status of their child at all.

Since marriage to a US citizen confers US citizenship upon the spouse, it is not clear how your spouse is an illegal immigrant unless you are also an illegal immigrant (not that you actually said that either of you are living in the US, but that seems to be the most likely interpretation). I also don't know why you are abandoning your spouse instead of getting a divorce. Nothing will necessarily happen; it depends upon what action the abandoned spouse may choose to take. If you are sued, then there could be various consequences depending upon the outcome of the suit.

I'm no expert on immigration law, but I do believe it is good grounds for citizenship, but there's always a chance he'll get deported. the child is a legal U.S. citizen

The same thing that would happen to a citizen, the person will be taken into custody by authorities and jailed in a local and/or state and/or federal facility. The difference between the citizen and the immigrant obviously would be that after the unlawfully present immigrant has served the imposed sentence(s) he or she will be deported and permanently barred from entering the U.S.

d baby is a citizen of UK no dout about dat (won ri unkan se si ye)nothing to do about dat men

If your country has had a natural disaster happen resently or coming up soon you will be safe. Also you will be able to make new friends. Also you will start a family in a new country.

Nothing will happen to you .. unless your in the illegal marriage, or somehow aided in the marriage fraud.

Nothing, or your bankruptcy discharge can be reversed, or you can be fined or sent to prison. It depends on how much you inherit and how long after the bankruptcy you inherited it.

Bankruptcy can happen to anyone and it can be caused by several factors. Divorce, lawsuits, job loss, medical bills, and business failure can all be cause for bankruptcy. Visit my profile/site For more bankruptcy information.

Answer 1:Nothing. He/she will still be a legal immigrant.Answer 2:The above is true, if the status of "legal immigrant" was not dependent on the marriage, or his sponsorship. The immigrant concerned should seek advice from an attorney trained in these matters, or an immigrant aid group.

It depends on how the immigrant entered the U.S. If they entered legally, then no they do not have to leave the country. However, if they entered ilegally, they would have to their country of origin. What will happen here: Since you filed an i-485, I imagine that you have a lawyer (stupid not to have one). After a couple of packets, you will receive a visa, and an appointment with the immigration in your country. You will then have to go to your country, and report to them. You wife/husband will need to show how it would cause them hardship for you not to be here (think pshycologist papers,schooling, children, etc.). If you have not had any major problems here in the US, They will then grant you a visa to get back, and your residency. Hope this helps. This is how I am getting it done. I know that it's a burden to have to go back, but think of it this way... chance to meet the in-laws. LOL

These assets should not be effected at all.

Of course, it is immensely important to include IRS in a bankruptcy. If you don't some bad naughty things could happen.

If you file bankruptcy and you have not been discharged the car that you buy can be used to finance it.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.