When someone dies in your family how do you find out who their lawyer was or what property they owned?

Advice from FAQ Farmers: * Contact the property recorder's or assessors office in the city or county where the deceased owned property. * Place an ad in the local newspaper where the person died and also place an add in the legal press. Contact the Law Society in your area and they will tell you which magazine to place the ad in. However it may be the case that the person never had a solicitor or made a will.