Who gets custody of a child if the father is dead an mother goes to jail in tn?

The courts would prefer to find some other competent relative such as a grandparent or possibly an aunt or uncle of the child, in such a case. If no such relative can be found who is willing to take custody of the child, then the child will become a ward of the state.