Who pays the medical bill if you are involved in an accident where the at fault party is uninsured and you don't have uninsured motorist coverage but you do have medical insurance?

This is a great question. My husband was hit by a car while on his motorcycle last June. He DID NOT have uninsured motorist on his bike and the woman had no insurance at all, so unfortunately we could not go after her for any money. He was in the hospital for one month, 8 surgeries and is still unable to walk like he used to and may never be able to. He lives in constant pain and because we did not have uninsured motorist coverage on the bike, we are at a loss. However, I am attempting to use my auto insurance to try to recoup some money. My husband's health insur. paid the hospital bill of over $300.000.00, but now has a lien on my home for the remaining balance of $165,000.00. My attorney is in negotiations to get that waived. We did recoup $25,000.00 from the owner of the car she was driving's insurance, but Blue Cross is taking that, we do not get a penney. My attorney never advised me to use my medical coverage of my insurance, so I don't know if that could help or not. Maybe I'll try that route too!! Hope I've been of some help. Check your auto insurance policy to see if you have medical payments that will pay your medical expense up to $ amount. If you do, then your insurance company will pay up to the $ amount. Or, if you do not have auto medical insurance, have your regular medical insurance pay. The person at fault needs to pay your bill. You need to take him to court and have his wages garnished for your bills. If that is not a possibility for you, then your medical insurance should cover it.

Also, check with your insurance agent regarding the extra medical coverage you may have purchased along with your auto insurance policy. Most have some.