Citizenship and Marriage

You have been married for 9 years to a US citizen can i get residency without leaving the country?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2010-10-14 00:51:22
2010-10-14 00:51:22


if you entered the country LEGALLY but overstayed your visa, then you can get legal residence without leaving the U.S.

if you entered the country ILLEGALY, then you CANNOT get legal residence in this country, you would be required to travel to the U.S. embassy/consulate of your home country.

User Avatar

Related Questions

It is until you have registered as a married citizen in America.

You do not need to be married any particular length of time to apply for US residency. Once you are married to a US citizen you can apply for residency right away. The process takes about 6 months to complete.

Once you are officially married to an American citizen, you can not be deported from the country, unless you engage in a criminal offense.

If you are a US Citizen, legally divorced or widowed, you can request permanent residency for your spouse, regardless of how you gained your citizenship.

If you get married in another country, you have to have a ceremony in America. You should get married in the state you live in to meet residency requirements.

No, in order for you to become a legal citizen of the United States you must be a legal resident that has been living in this country for at least two years before you can apply for your citizenship.

No, both my marriages were like the one you described. They will get their residency regardless.

After 3 years of legally married with a Romanian citizen, you can apply for a parmanent residence (Romanian Passport).

No, you have to first obtain a green card and fulfill the residency and criminal background requirements.

Once you apply for and receive your permanent residency you have to wait 3 years before your able to apply for citizenship.

No. Neither will automatically become citizen of the other country.

You must comply with the visa and marry her within the 3 months that is specified! Your marriage in another country doesn't effect the visa. That is your secret, as far as INS is concerned. Get married and apply for permanent residency.

She will still need to be sponsored by the spouse (who is an American Citizen) and apply for residency first. Once permanent residency is granted, she has to wait (I believe it's approximately two years) to apply for citizenship.

Your status is "married." You are still a citizen of this country. There is no special status.

It depends on the extent of time you have been a resident. If you are permanent resident, you will not lose your visa. However, if you are on a work permit issued due to marriage to a US Citizen or if you are on a temporary resident permit (this is given while awaiting the permanent card), these can be revoked and the person sent back to their country of origin

You should have applied for Permanent Residency 7 years ago when you got married. I recommend you apply for Permanent Residency now and in 3 years you can apply for Citizenship.

They are officially married. One spouse can sponsor the other for immigration to his or her country.

That gives you the right to stay in this country, but you are not a U.S. citizen.

It depends on the country she is from you should contact the immigration services or check it out online. You can ask questions anoumsly

Firstly, if the person is married in an another country and has come to a particular country illegally it is surely invalid to marry the person. Another thing, if the person is a citizen of that particular country in which he has married it is his right to first take a citizen of that country in which he is going to marry and then he can marry a person another to his own country.

If your question is 'does merely marrying a US citizen give someone the right to remain in the US' then the answer is 'no'.

You need to apply for Permanent Residency. It is a 6 month to 1 year process depending on how quickly you get your application in and it is processed for: Fingerprints for criminal background check in your country, medical history in your country, etc.

Which country did you get married in? If in the US, your husband has the choice of either becoming a full US Citizen or the option of holding dual citizenship.

Yes, you can get married. Only thing is make sure if you are planning on getting US Citizenship in the future, apply for residency BEFORE you leave. It will be much easier than applying from abroad. Also, if you plan on re-entering the US before approval of residency (6 months to a year), make sure you get re-entry Visa BEFORE you leave, otherwise you WILL NOT be allowed to enter country without either the re-entry visa or your green card onCe residency is approved!

The requirements are the same as for two citizens; they will depend on the state and county where the couple wants to marry.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.