Citizenship and Marriage
United States of America
United States

If a Mexican girl is born in Mexico and came to the United States at the age of 5 can she become a citizen by getting married with a citizen?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2005-12-16 17:44:56
2005-12-16 17:44:56

She will still need to be sponsored by the spouse (who is an American Citizen) and apply for residency first. Once permanent residency is granted, she has to wait (I believe it's approximately two years) to apply for citizenship.


Related Questions

No. Neither will automatically become citizen of the other country.

No, Mexican citizens can't get divorced in California if they were married in Mexico. One of the parties would need to be an American citizen.

No. Immigrants must fulfill certain requirements to become Mexican nationals.

You must move to Mexico with your spouse and live there for two years with an immigrant visa, then you can apply for Mexican citizenship. You can have both a Mexican and a US passport and be a dual citizen. If you were not married to a Mexican citizen, you would have to live there for four years.

"Mexican" is a nationality-- a Mexican is a citizen of Mexico.

I married a Mexican citizen in Mexico and I am a US citizen, and we currently live in Mexico. You can only live in Mexico for the time they alloted on your white paper when you entered the country, usually it is 90-180 days. During that time you should apply for a FM2 at the immigration office. An FM2 is a visa that allows you to live in Mexico. You would qualify for it because you are married to a Mexican citizen. An FM2 is good for as long as you want provided you renew it every year and you can become a citizen after having it for 2 years. FM2 allows you do live and participate as a Mexican citizen would. I currenlty have an FM3, which is a working visa. I got it through my employer. If you want to work in Mexico you could get an FM3 and that would also allow you to stay in Mexico, but it needs to be renewed every year. Good luck and I hope that this helps a little.

Most foreigners can obtain a Mexican passport if they move to Mexico with an immigrant visa and live there for four years (2 years if married to a Mexican citizen). Then one can apply for Mexican citizenship and passport.

US citizenship cannot be lost by her becoming a Mexican citizen. Mexico would control whether she becomes a Mexican citizen. US has no involvement in the process.

So long as your paperwork with the embassy is in order, and the legal portions of the marriage are covered, it really makes little difference where you have the wedding ceremony, whether it be in Mexico, the US, Antarctica, etc.

You do not need those records to get married in Mexico but you can call your state vital records office to check on that.

If I Marry An Illegal From Mexico Can He Become A Citizen

go to mexico and bribe the government

Legally you can marry them in Mexico and then bring them back to the US. They are allowed to be in the US if they are married to a US Citizen.

If you are already in the United States, the fact that you are a Mexican citizen does not make it any more difficult for you to get married. You will follow the same procedure as anyone else and the laws of the U.S. state in which you are getting married will dictate the requirements. Marrying a U.S. citizen will not, however, automatically change your immigration status. It will create a path to citizenship, but it is by no means automatic. If you are in Mexico and you want to marry an American, you can obtain a civil marriage according to the laws of the Mexican state in which you live. Or, your American fiance(e) can apply for a visa for you to come to the United States for the purpose of getting married.

What do you mean if "you are in Mexico"? Do you mean if you are a Mexican citizen? If you are a Mexican citizen, then Yes, you need a valid Mexican passport to enter Canada. A Canada visa is not required for citizens of Mexico for a stay up to 180 days.

More than likely, you are already a Mexican citizen. Get your birth documents together and just get a mexican passport to prove Mexican citizenship.

Yes. However, if you move to Mexico, you will need to register your US marriage with the Registro Civil in the Mexican town where you live in order to receive any benefit from the Mexican government. If you are merely visiting, then this is not necessary.

father borm in san francisco but the mother is an mexican citizen and baby born in mexico is the baby an american citizen

Yes. I married my wife, a Mexican citizen, in the US while living with her family in Mexico. She had a B1-B2 visa so she could legally enter the US. We returned to Mexico to live. It took 4 hrs including crossing the border. For us to get PERMISSION to marry in Mexico would have taken months.

American settlers had to become a citizen of Mexico and follow Mexican law.

No she cannot. To become a US citizen you must be a US resident. Niether can you become a permenant resident for the same reason.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.