answersLogoWhite

0


Best Answer

This advice is to be taken at your own risk.

Apply bleach (Chlorox) diluted with water (1:1 or less). This will dissolve and dry up the reaction. Start with a test area and apply carefully after scratching open the blisters.

The best cure is prevention. If you suspect exposure while doing yardwork, for example, never abrade or scratch your skin surface, and continually wash and rinse exposed skin areas as you work, even frequently changing your clothing if the exposure is intense.

Poison Ivy's allergic reaction is caused by the oil it secretes. Poison Ivy oil can lay dormant and viable for many years in both living and dead plant form. It should never be confused with the skin's release of reactionary fluids. The weeping of the skin is an allergic reaction and is not poisonous or contagious, however, the allergic ivy oils are invisible and pervasive. Exposed skin, clothing and bedding material should be thoroughly washed.

BTW: I have suffered severely from poison ivy Allergies in the past requiring steroid shots and was dubious, even appalled, at the suggestion of bleach and water. Never have I been more happily surprised in accepting advice. And since, and during, the clearing of the back half of my little square in the American Southeast, I have been pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness of the Chlorox "solution", but mainly at the value of understanding what poison ivy is and how it attacks the skin organ. After my initial horrendous exposure, I effectively used preventive measures which resulted in zero need for treatment. Constantly taking wash down rinses and clothing changes in a controlled and educated manner resulted in this success, with many thanks to the linked website. Education is the key.

(different user)

The bleach thing hurts when you do it but it is worth it. What hurts less is oat meal baths (my step mother tells me this really works too). If you don't like baths and you take showers then you can take this product and put it on the infected area and let it soak for a while.

User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2012-06-16 14:40:22
This answer is:
User Avatar
Study guides

Classififcation

โžก๏ธ
See all cards
5.0
โ˜†โ˜…โ˜†โ˜…โ˜†โ˜…โ˜†โ˜…โ˜†โ˜…
1 Review

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: How do you treat poison ivy rashes?
Write your answer...
Submit
Still have questions?
magnify glass
imp
Related questions

How does poison ivy give rashes?

urichiol oil


Can dogs give you rashes?

Dogs can give you rashes if they walk through poison ivy or poison oak and then walk or rub against you.


Do poison ivy rashes sting right away?

to my knowledge... YES! DX


How long do poison ivy rashes last.?

Poison ivy rashes last about 1-3 weeks, the itching will go away in approx. 1 week or maybe less. Avoid scratching rashes, or it will turn red and leave scars. You're welcome! -Miss.Helpful


Can Desoximetasone be used to treat poison ivy?

Probably.


What is the diffrenece between poison ivy and poison sumac rashes. I have had poison ivy before but these blisters and rashes burn very bad and now Im getting the bumps on my neck and face?

This sounds more like Impetigo to me.....go see your Dr. for some antibiotic ointment.


What herb treats stinging nettle rashes?

Jewel weed (also used for poison ivy)


Why do dogs get rashes?

Dogs can get rashes from poison ivy or posion oak. Some dogs can get a rash from an allergic reaction to a plant or certain food.


Why is calamine lotion is rubbed to treat an ant sting?

calamine lotion and is used as an anti-itching agent to treat mild pruritic conditions such as sunburn, eczema, rashes, poison ivy, chickenpox, and insect bites and stings.


What class of drugs is typically used to treat poison ivy?

corticosteroids


Can you get poison ivy from swimming with someone who has poison ivy?

No, poison ivy is not contagious.


Will peeing on poison ivy treat it?

No it won't. It'll just add to the cleanup.

People also asked