What would you like to do?

Can a person over the age of 65 who has been drawing Social Security while working collect both unemployment and Social Security benefits if the person is laid off?

already exists.

Would you like to merge this question into it?

already exists as an alternate of this question.

Would you like to make it the primary and merge this question into it?

exists and is an alternate of .

According to the Social Security Administration, each state makes its own rules with regard to paying unemployment compensation to laid-off Social Security recipients. In most cases, the answer is yes, you are eligible to receive unemployment benefits while drawing Social Security, but your benefits may be reduced or offset by a portion of your Social Security check.

Receipt of any type of Social Security benefit must be reported to your state's Department of Labor Unemployment Compensation Service at the time you apply for unemployment compensation.

Contact your local unemployment office for more specific information.
11 people found this useful
Thanks for the feedback!

Can a person over 65 who is eligible to draw Social Security but has chosen not to do so yet then collect unemployment benefits when he loses his job and still postpone collecting Social Security?

Yes. If you lost your job and are entitled to unemployment benefits, due to the manner in which you lost your job, then by all means collect unemployment. Merely because being

Can you get unemployment benefits while on Social Security?

You not only can get unemployment benefits while on Social Security (provided you qualify for each separately) but you can receive SS even while you are working, under certain

Can a person who is 25 percent disabled but is working collect Social Security disability benefits?

No. The Social Security Administration only pays disability benefits if they determine you have a qualifying condition, are completely disabled, and are expected to remain dis

Can you collect unemployment benefits while receiving Social Security benefits after age 65?

Yes. It has been found, however, that for some reason some states (Virginia, for example ) reduce the amount of your unemployment compensation by the amount of your SS, which

Can you collect both unemployment benefits and Social Security in Louisiana?

I believe this answer is slightly incorrect -- "Yes, you can. Under "Non monetary Issues" > "Disqualifications" item (f) on page 5 of the Related Link below, Social Security b

Can a person draw Social Security survivor benefits and work at the same time?

Yes, but earned income may affect the amount a survivor can receive in benefits. Because the formulas used to calculate survivors' benefits are complex and dependent on many v