What would you like to do?

Can you refuse visitation?

already exists.

Would you like to merge this question into it?

already exists as an alternate of this question.

Would you like to make it the primary and merge this question into it?

exists and is an alternate of .

No. This is a very bad idea to go against a court order regarding child visitation rights. The custodial parent sometimes interferes with child visitation and forces the non-custodial parent to seek alternative ways to maintain the parent-child relationship. For the non-custodial parent whose right has been denied there are mild, moderate and severe enforcements of the right to visitation.

* Mild enforcements are: filing a police report, modifying the visitation judgment to exactly specify the time and place of visitation, award make-up visitation and family therapy or mediation
* Moderate enforcements are: supervised visitation, having a third party responsible for overseeing visitation and award of attorney's fees
* Severe enforcements are: contempt proceedings, court permission to withhold child support, change of custody and suing the other parent for hindering visitation

The problems with enforcement is that most judges are unwilling to take the steps necessary to enforce a visitation order equally to a child support order. When Public Law 12 was passed in the 80s creating the Federal Commission of Child Support, as a part of the requirements to receive federal funding, the states were to set up programs for the enforcement of visitation orders. So far no state has done that. Missouri did pass RSMO 565.156 §5 in 1989, making it a Class D felony to violate court ordered visitation, but county prosecutors have flatly refused to enforce it.
565.156. 1. A person commits the crime of child abduction if he or she:
(5) Having legal custody of the child pursuant to a valid court order, removes, takes, detains, conceals or entices away that child within or without the state, without good cause, and with the intent to deprive the custody or visitation rights of another person, without obtaining written consent as is provided under section 452.377, RSMo.

2. Child abduction is a class D felony.
According to the US Dept. of Health & Human Services study, "Survey of Absent Parents" over 60% of mothers regularly violate the access rights of fathers. Further, they are successful in cutting off all contact between the children and their fathers within five years. Unlike child support, mothers are not jailed, even with multiple Contempt of Court rulings against them for violating the fathers' court ordered visitation rights.

The best defense is a good offense, to have a motion to change custody ready the moment a judge rules a parent in contempt of a visitation order.

see link
8 people found this useful
Thanks for the feedback!

Can a child refuse visitation in Arkansas?

No. It's the parents job to see to that the court order is obeyed.  A minor have no say in it until they are 18.

What age can a minor refuse visitation from the non custodial parent in Pennsylvania?

No Minors, unless between the age of 16 and 18 and married or serving active military may refuse visitation when there is a valid Court Order. However, the residential parent

If you have primary residential custody what can you do if the father refuses to return your son after a weekend visit?

File parental kidnapping charges. File contempt with state. If you know where the child is being kept and the other parent isn't there you can pick up the child at the babysi

At what age can a child refuse visitation?

18, unless the custody agreement gives the child the ability to choose, or the visiting parent agrees to allow the child to skip.

What happens to the custodial parent if the child refuses to visit the noncustodial parent in Ohio?

The child can't refuse, they are too young to decide for themselves. It's the parents job to make them go and the custodial parent have to follow the court order. If not he/sh

Can a mother deny visitation right when the father refuse to give her the new address?

No, if you do that you are in violation of the court order and can get into trouble for that. He is however violating the court order by not giving you the address. Have you l

Can a father lose visitation rights if he refuses to return the child?

If the rites are set by a court then yes if he breaches the court order he can lose the rites granted by the court. If there is no court order you would need to get one if y

Can a 13 year old child refuse to visit their noncustodial parent in California?

This is a common and complicated issue when there is tension in the custody. If there is a court ordered visitation agreement then it needs to be followed whether or not the c

What age can a child refuse visitation in MD?

18. However the child is always free to make their wishes known to the judge, either in court when custody/visitation is being decided or request a modification to the origina

What should you do when a child is refusing to visit the other parent for court ordered visitations?

Court orders must be followed until they can be modified by returning to court and placing the issue before the judge. Generally, a child is not free to decide not to visit u
In Custody

What age can a child refuse to visit non custodail parent in massachusetts?

18. Otherwise, the custodial parent may be held in contempt of court for failing to abide by a court order. Contempt of court may lead to jail or a modification in the custody
In Custody

Can a 13 yr old refuse visitation with non custodial parent in Oklahoma?

Court ordered visitations are not optional. If the order isn't followed the custodial parent could be found in contempt of a court order and sanctioned by the court. Court or