Asked in Jeep Cherokee
Jeep Cherokee

1999 Jeep Cherokee When the wheel is turned sharply it pops and jumps When put into reverse and turing tires it also pops and jumps?



User Avatar
Wiki User

if you have a posi traction differential you may need a friction modifier . it is an additive ( approx 4.0 oz.) sold at your jeep dealer and auto supply stores that goes in your diff. If you changed the differential oil you need to add this. I also found sometimes this additive was missing from the start. it helps the posi clutches slip on tight turns.

Also note : that on extreme tight turns a slipping or jumping feeling with your four wheel drive enguaged is also a normal condition. Have some one with 4x4 experience test drive it .

Your 4 wheel drive is disingaging.or the hubs are locked or jammed. -- Also, check your your U-Joints. Universal Joints. they might need replacing. -