Children and the Law
Emancipation and Ages for Moving Out
North Carolina

Can a 17-year-old who leaves South Carolina and moves to Missouri without parental permission be forced to return home?



User Avatar
Wiki User

Call your local court house in the county which you live and ask what the age of maturity is. In some states its 17 in most its 18. Yes, they can bring you back if they choose they are your parents. If you can show a reason to the courts why you should disban from them a judge can make that determination. * Yes. Any minor crossing state lines without parental consent is in violation of both federal and state law and can be taken into custody by authorities and remanded to juvenile authorities in the minor's home state. Judges will not intervene on the behalf of a minor who has broken the law unless the state social service agency that is in charge provides proof that said minor was being physically abused and/or neglected.