1.Never sweep the floor at night or you'll sweep sorrow into your life.
2. Chase away any owls outside your window; they are a harbinger of death.
3. It's bad luck for the groom to see the bride on the wedding day before the ceremony.
4. If a picture of three people is taken, the person in the middle will be the first to die.
5. Never start or buy anything on a Friday.
6. Cut your hair on a full moon and it will grow back faster.
7. Which ever partner falls asleep first on their wedding night will be the first to die.
8. If you sneeze, you invite the devil into your soul; being told God bless you frightens him away.
9. Crickets in your home are good luck (not in my home and definitly not for the nasty crickets!)
10. Killing a spider is bad luck
11. Ivy growing on a house protects the inhabitants from witchcraft and evil.
12. Unless you were born in October, it's unlucky to wear opals.
13. If you leave a rocking chair rocking when empty, it invites evil spirits to come into your house to sit in the rocking chair.
Has anyone ever explained the origin of the unlucky 13 superstition?
There is a Norse myth about 12 gods having a dinner party at Valhalla, their heaven. In walked the uninvited 13th guest, the mischievous Loki. Once there, Loki arranged for Hoder, the blind god of darkness, to shoot Balder the Beautiful, the god of joy and gladness, with a mistletoe-tipped arrow. Balder died and the Earth got dark. The whole Earth mourned.
There is a Biblical reference to the unlucky number 13. Judas, the apostle who betrayed Jesus, was the 13th guest to the Last Supper.
A particularly bad Friday the 13th occurred in the middle ages. On a Friday the 13th in 1306, King Philip of France arrested the revered Knights Templar and began torturing them, marking the occasion as a day of evil.
In ancient Rome, witches reportedly gathered in groups of twelve. If there were thirteen, the 13th was believed to be the devil.
-Bathing at night is equal to a cup of blood loss. "Black Cats" -Get ready for bad luck if you see one. "Umbrellas inside the house" -Opening an umbrella inside the house = drowning the next time you'll swim. "No Reds Allowed" -Don't wear red when there's lighting! It (the lightning) might hit you! "Broken Reflection" -Seven years of bad luck if you broke a mirror.