Child Support
Unemployment Benefits

Can they take money out of your account for child support if you marry someone who is obligated to pay child support?

User Avatar
Wiki User
2006-07-27 21:17:57

If the account is joint it can be levied to the extent of funds

that belong to the non compliant parent. The joint holder would

have to provide proof to the court of the percentage of funds

belonging to them to prevent said funds from being levied. The best

solution if for the spouse who is not obligated for support to have

an account in their name only and hold only funds belonging to them

in this account. Never attempt to deposit funds of the non

compliant parent into an account held by someone else in order to

avoid a levy for child support. Likewise never attempt to transfer

property owned by the non compliant parent to avoid attachment for

child support arrearages.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.