Contract Law

Can you repossess a vehicle that you sold to a friend if you have a written contract for the sale of the vehicle?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2006-05-15 14:08:00
2006-05-15 14:08:00

yes, you are in a legally binging contract if you are both over 18 years of age and are therefore able to repossess the car.


Related Questions

Hopefully, you had the good sense to put a lien on that vehicle. You can have a recovery agent repossess the car.

Absolutely, if the friend has not paid the payments that were agreed upon in the contract you can absolutely go and reposess the car, just before you do, ask yourself how good of a friend this is, maybe they are going through a hard time a need a little break from you, if you want the car back worse than you want your friend, then by all means, go and get it, might want to go to the local police office and get a police officer to go with you just in case there is a problem.

If you did not give him the title, all you need to do is go get the car (hope you kept the spare key). If you did sign the title over to him with no documented agreement concerning the payments, you have probably given your (ex)friend an expensive present.

If you've already signed away the title, no. The old wisdom goes something like: "A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on." Not really much of a friend, is he. * Verbal contracts are binding in all US states. The difficulty is in proving one's claim. If the seller has proof that the buyer made any amount of payment, has witnessess to the transaction, then a case can be made. Such a case, as indeed in lawsuit is not guaranteed a specific outcome. The other issue is the exact meaning of "no title". If there was not a clear title to the vehicle then a valid sale is not possible. The orignal owner can obtain a copy of the vehicle title from the state DMV. A buyer who simply has possession of a vehicle with no proof of previous ownership/seller cannot legally register or insure the vehicle.

No. They can repossess their collateral (the car which was repossessed), and they can send a collection agency to hound you for money, but they can't confiscate your property.

You don't. Let your friend register his own vehicle.

Was there a written contract between you and your friend that listed repossession as a cure for non payment? I would consider contacting an attorney on this one.

If you have a written agreement to show in court it cant hurt. It depends on what is in the agreement. Take this to court with you it may help.

If the car is in your name, you have all of the rights. If things were to fall through between the two of you, unless you and he have a signed agreement that you'll pay him back, you dont' have to pay him anything. Of course, that would be horrible to do, and he could take you to small claims court to get his money back. * Verbal agreements are legally binding. Only the person who holds title to a vehicle owns the vehicle. It is irrelevant who the vehicle is registered to. If the person has the title he or she can legally repossess the vehicle at any time and sue the borrower for any applicable costs connected to the repossession.

Yes, If your are driving your friends vehicle then they are required to schedule you for coverage, otherwise you would be an uninsured driver. If you are asking can your friend add you and your vehicle then that would depend on what your friends financial interest is in your vehicle. If your friend has no insurable interest in your vehicle then it would be unlawful for them to add it to their policy. But they can certainly and are in fact required to add you to their policy if you are driving the friends owned vehicle.

Byrd Friend has written: 'Yucca lilies'

Friend to humanity. has written: 'Tyranny displayed'

Connie Friend has written: 'Now I can see'

"tamodachi" means friend and is written ใŸใปใ ใก

Harold Krebs Friend has written: 'It was wisdom'

Nellie E. Friend has written: 'God And You'

Friend of the light. has written: 'The gates of hell opend'

Friend of literature has written: 'Fatal effects of seduction'

Hilderic Friend has written: 'Flowers and flower lore'

No, unless your parents adopt your best friend or vice versa.

Friend : if you want to say that this girl is my friend you say : sadeekaty ,, written : ุตุฏูŠู‚ุชูŠ if you want to say that this boy is my friend you say : sadeke ,, written : ุตุฏูŠู‚ูŠ Friends ( Plural ) : asdekae'ee ,, written as : ุฃุตุฏู‚ุงุฆูŠ

It will depend on the laws in your state. In many cases betting is illegal unless regulated by the state. If it is illegal, it is not a contract.

If your friend refuses to return it then you must contact the police for theft.

Doris Friend Halman has written: 'Will-o'-the-wisp'

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.