Children and the Law
Gospel Music
Miley Cyrus
Justin Bieber

Do you have any visitation rights if you have a half sister who is 7 and your mum passed away last year and she lives with her dad?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2005-11-21 20:56:04
2005-11-21 20:56:04

In most cases you do. If you sister wants to see you that's great, and there should be no reason why your father wouldn't let you see her. If he doesn't want you near her because of the bitter separation between your parents, then you can go to court and they will probably grant you visitation rights only if this 7 year old wants to see you. Otherwise, you are going to have to wait until she is of legal age. Good luck Marcy


Related Questions

The legal guardian has all rights over the child unless the mother has visitation rights. If so, they must be followed.

The interstate visitation rights act gives great information in the area of this question.

He has whatever rights the courts set forth, but he might have to pay for at least half the travel costs.

The custodial parent is the parent in which the child resides with. My son lives with me and I am the custodial parent, his dad has visitation rights and pays child support.

The courts might give him visiting rights, but they can be restricted - supervised visitation, visitation in public places only, etc. The alternative is far worse see link below

Yes, at least until the child reaches the age of majority (usually 18, sometimes older) in the state where they legally reside.

No, he has visitation rights. If she wont let him in the house he has the right to see his child somewhere else. If the court agrees he can also get shared custody.

If the father has legal visitation rights-no. You can file a petition with the court to change visitation to show cause. You petition him to go to court where you tell the judge why you do not want, what you do not want and the judge will decide.

She has a twin sister, who lives in Texas, and a younger sister who I think lives where she lives, in Kentucky.

Typically parents have equal rights to their children, but if the child lives in a different country, it's best to hire a lawyer that knows the laws in that country when it comes to things like custody, visitation, and child support

If you are a minor, no, not without court intervention. If your dad would agree and providing his parental rights haven't been terminated, he could petition the court on your behalf for modification to the visitation order asking for you to have visitation rights or you could write a letter to the judge with jurisdiction asking for permission, but it would be up to the judge to determine whether doing so would be in the child's best interests. The mother also has the option of objecting to such a modification. Ultimately, it would be up to the judge should that occur.

Do you have a court order saying you have visitation? Are you the biological father? If so then YES. Go back to court and file for custody.

No. At the minimum, this is ground for a motion to enforce access rights, and change of custody. see link

It's highly unlikely that custodial rights would even be considered. However, courts seldom refuse visitation rights unless there is evidence of abuse or neglect on the part of the requesting parent. If there is not a court order terminating parental rights due to abandonment or another such issue, the parent will likely be granted visitation. It is quite possible, the court would order supervised visitation for a specified length of time. A lot depends on the reason for non-contact with the child. Courts tend to leave things as they are and not make drastic changes in children's lives unless it is what they want and better for them in the long run. yes, you can get visitation and/or custody but again, it depends on what kept you away (drugs, jail, etc.).

Grandparents' rights are difficult to establish when the child lives in another state and is so young. Contact Social Services in your area to find out how to go about initiating a request for some kind of visitation.

Yes, he has two sisters. He has one older half sister from his mothers side and one younger half sister from his fathers side. His older sister lives in California and his younger sister lives in Connecticut.

File for in in the state of jurisdiction. see links below

Depends on what state you live in. In VA Grandparents can have visitation rights just like a biological father, if they show they can and have cared for the child while in their care. ........................................................................................................................................ I live in Ohio and 4 yrs ago got grandparent visitation for my grandson. I had to have the mom and dad sign the papers and in doing that I didnt have to go to court which save money. I heard they changed the law since then but I am not 100% sure. Grandparents should have rights to see their grandbabies. We are an important part of their lives. Can you imagine your life without your grandparents??? I know I could not...........

No, but the child can make their wishes known to the court (procedure depends on where the child lives) and custody may be modified based on the same if the child provides a valid and compelling reason why such a modification should be granted.

The father does not have his own home for the child on visitation,what to do?Not if he has a court order for visitation.Visitation can be at the mothers house or where the father lives. If he does not have a place to live they can still see each other but not over night visits.

the custodial parent is the parent the child lives with the non custodial parent is the parent the child does NOT live with the non custodial parent assuming he / she knows he is a parent... is usually the patitioning parent. if he /she chooses not to seek visitation rights the court cannot force him/ her to see the child.... but they can enforce child support. research the laws for your state.

Yes she does and she lives in Miami,Fl [ I have met her sister before ]

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.