How can a father give up his parental rights?

A parent can file a Termination of Parental Rights petition in the appropriate state court in the city or county of residence. Whether the court will allow the parent to be relieved of all financial and other obligations depends upon the circumstances. Generally a TPR is only granted to allow the child or children to be eligible for adoption. It is not a meant to be a venue for a parent to be released from their obligations to their minor child or children nor should it be. File a petition for the voluntary termination of parental rights (TPR) in the state court in the county of residence. The judge will decide whether or not the request should be granted based upon what is in the best interest of the child, not the parent petitioner. TPR's are usually granted to allow a child to be eligible for adoption, NOT so the obligated parent can be relieved of his or her financial responsibility to their child/children.