Drug Addiction

How can an aunt obtain custody of a niece who she has been taking care of for 3 weeks and has had no contact with the child's parents who are drug abusers?


User Avatar
Wiki User

The best method would be to contact the state's division of child protective services for assistance. They will begin an investigation and their findings will determine what action (if any) should be taken. Usually under such circumstances the case will be referred to the court and the judge will decide if the parents should attend parenting classes and/or be supervised by family services and/or temporarily or permanently relieved of their parental rights and place the child in the custody of the state or a relative.