How did Idlewild Airport get its name?
Idlewild Airport, now John F. Kennedy International Airport, got its name as construction began in the early 1940s around a sporting complex called the Idlewild Golf Course. When Idlewild Airport opened for operations in 1942, Floyd Bennett Field was deed to the U.S. Navy. Idlewild Field was dedicated as New York International Airport in 1948. Idlewild airport was originally going to be called Alexander A Anderson Airport. However, Fiorella Laguardia wanted it named Idlewild. It is named for the area where the Idlewild golf course was.