Citizenship and Marriage

How do you become a legal citizen if you were brought to the United States as a child and have lived here for more than 11 years as an illegal alien?

User Avatar
Wiki User
July 14, 2013 6:43PM

There are a number of responses to this question, and you will see them below. But first, it should be noted that while currently, the "Dream Act" is stuck in congressional gridlock, President Obama has ordered that "dreamers" stop being deported, and that they be allowed to stay while this contentious issue is resolved. The president believes, as so some moderates in both parties, that children who were brought here years ago, without their knowledge and through no fault of their own, should not be punished for what their parents did. While the immigration battle rages on, as of mid-2012, deportations of these young people were ordered halted. I enclose a link to the order the president gave, and some explanation of what it means.

Other answers:

You can apply for permanent residence status or citizenship using the same procedure as all other immigrants, more specific information can be found on the USCIS, website or contact the National Immigration Law Center 1-213-639-3900, website, e-mail They can help you obtain legal council in your area based on your ability to pay, or a pro-bono representation.

I really believe that there should be an immigration law granting legal status to children of illegal immigrants older than 18 and who have completed high school, who have no criminal record and are "bona-fide" citizens (or should I say "residents"). Unfornately, as I said before there is not one right now. I have seen many heart-breaking stories where many illegal immigrant children of illegal immigrants can not go to college, even if they have good grades and have good aspirations, all because they do not have a valid Social security number, because they are illegal in this country. It's so sad!

there is a dream act it is for illegal children that have been in the us since they were at least 5 and they can not be older than 15 when they came to the us, the act would allow these kids to get a ss card, drivers license,financial aid for college and most of all be eligable to become an American citizen since it was not their fault there parents sunk them in to the country illegally.... it has not gone in to effect yet oren hatch is the one trying to get it passed god bless him:) but so many others are trying to get the proposal out of the us senate, i thinks it's sad that people don't have a heart look up the dream act on the internet and sign a petition for it to get passed.