Best Answer

The person/creditor that is owed money sues the debtor/borrower in the appropriate state court. If the plaintiff (person owed) wins the suit he or she will be awarded a writ of judgment. Be advised the court will not collect or assist in collection of money owed, that is the responsibility of the judgment holder. A judgment can be used in several ways depending upon the laws of the state where it is awarded. Wage garnishment and bank account levy are the two most common ways of executing a judgment. It can also be used to place liens against real property or have non-exempt assets belonging to the debtor seized and sold. Before initiating a lawsuit it should be determined if the debt is collectible. All states allow debtor exemptions for personal and real property. In many cases the debtor/defendant qualifies as being "judgment proof", meaning there is not property that can be attached and/or sold for debt repayment.

User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2005-11-23 02:55:33
This answer is:
User Avatar
Study guides

Create a Study Guide

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: How do you file a judgment against someone?
Write your answer...
Related questions

How do you file a judgment against a company?

You don't file a judgment you file a lawsuit against a company. A judgment is what you get if you win the legal battle.

Can you file bankruptcy if you have a large judgment against someone else?


Can you file bankruptcy on a fraud judgment?

If there is a judgment AGAINST you for fraud, then NO, such a judgment WILL NOT be discharged.

How do you file a personal lien in Ohio?

You go to court and get a judgment against the person. Then you can file a lien against their property.

Do you have to report a judgment against you to the IRS?

Can someone collect my income tax return for a judgment against me

How do you file a lien against someone's car when they owe you money?

Answer: To place a lien on someone's property you would need to file a claim in the appropriate court, obtain a judgment (execution) and then have the judgment served on the debtor. The sheriff could sieze the property and effect its transfer to you.

How do you file a judgment against child support?

Child Support cannot be attached to pay a judgment.

Is it legal for your wages to be garnished in Florida?

Yes. If someone has gotten a judgment against you & you have failed to pay them, they can file for a wage garnishment also.

How do you get a judgment against someone who owes you money?

Go to your local courthouse. File a small claims court case against the person. Show up in court and present your case.

Can you attach a lien to a lien?

Laws vary by state and my comments are based on California law. There are many procedures that might apply depending on the type of lien you are referring to. If you have a judgment against someone and you know of a third party who owes money to the judgment debtor, you can obtain a writ of exeuction and have the sheriff levy on that claim or you can file a motion for an assignment order transfer the right of payment to you. If the judgment debtor has a judgment against someone else, you can have that judgment assigned to you can you can then collect that judgment.

Can an auto insurance company file a lien against your home for auto damages?

Yes--but only if they have a court judgment against you. In that case, they would have what is called a judgment lien.

Can a person file a judgment against you in Panama City Panama?

If they have cause, yes.

Can you file a lawsuit against someone for stiffing out on you for a bill even if they don't have no job?

you can file a lawsuit against someone for practically anything.

Can you file a judgment against a person without a lawyer?

Yes, it is called Pro Se, you can file a civil complaint against someone and the judge will determine whether a judgment in your favor will be granted, it is up to you and not the court to enforce the judgment.

Can you file bankruptcy once a judgment is entered against you in the state of Pennsylvania?

Yes, but the judgment may not be discharged in BK without compensation.

How do you file a lien against and individual for money owed you?

You must file a lawsuit in the proper court and obtain a judgment in your favor. You can then request a judgment lien from the court.You must file a lawsuit in the proper court and obtain a judgment in your favor. You can then request a judgment lien from the court.You must file a lawsuit in the proper court and obtain a judgment in your favor. You can then request a judgment lien from the court.You must file a lawsuit in the proper court and obtain a judgment in your favor. You can then request a judgment lien from the court.

If you loaned someone some money and it was not repaid as agreed can you file a judgment against them?

In order to procure a judgment against someone for debt, due process has to be followed. Filing a lawsuit in the appropriate venue,(usually Small Claims Court). Obtaining a hearing date, going through the hearing/trial process and being awarded a judgment. Then the judgment has to be enforced which also has specific steps to be followed. Consult court procedures governing lasuits and judgments for your state of residency.

Can a credit card company put a lien against your property in North Carolina?

Yes, if they file suit and receive a judgment the creditor can execute the judgment as a lien against the debtor's property.

What if someone is trying to get a judgment against you and you did not show up for court?

It depends on the reason you did not show up. If you received notice and didn't appear, the court will issue a default judgment against you. If you had no notice and the court has no proof of service then you may be able to file a motion to vacate due to your not being served a summons.

How do you file a judgment?

You don't. The Court would file the judgment if it is granted.

How do you contest a fraudulent judgment against you?

File a Motion To Vacate in the court where the judgment was entered against the defendant. Contact the office of the clerk of the court of jurisdiction for information on the procedures and the forms required for filing.

If you can not pay a judgment against you is it better to file a bankruptcy?

Hope you had a lawyer defending you against the judgment suit. You can use one now. Many, if not most judgments will not be discharged in BK.

Can you file a lawsuit against someone who had an affair?

Nope ... best you can do is file for divorce.

How many times can a judgment from a civil suit be filed against you?

a file can be juged 2 times

Can a credit card company file a judgment lien against your house if there is no equity in the property?