Citizenship and Marriage

How do you obtain a marriage certificate from a marriage in Honduras?



User Avatar
Wiki User

Registro Civil or Civil Registry in Honduras will hand a marriage certificate after legally marrying a couple under the laws (and presentation of required documents):

Read below:

If you are NOT a honduran citizen, you will be required the following documents:

  • A valid passport
  • A certified copy of your birth certificate (1)
  • A certified copy of your police record (2)
  • An Affidavit of Single Status (3)

If you are marrying a Honduran citizen, your future spouse will require the following documents:

  • A Honduran identity card ("tarjeta de Identidad")
  • A Certificate of Single Status issued by the Civil Registry ("Certificado de Soltería del Registro Civil")

If you have been married before, you will require these additional documents:

  • A certified copy of the divorce decree (1) or
  • A certified copy of your previous spouse's death (1)


You will need two witnesses to your wedding - non-relatives preferred. They must have the following documents:

For non-Honduran citizens:

  • A valid passport for at least six months

For honduran citizens:

  • A Honduran Identity card ("Cédula de Identidad")

Marriages legally performed and valid in Honduras are also legally valid in other countries.

Your marriage will be legally recognized in the U.S. when you or your lawyer who performed the ceremony submits your marriage certificate with the appropriate certifications to the U.S. Embassy in Honduras.