Asked in
Clutches and Flywheels
GMC Sonoma

How do you replace the clutch actuator on a 4-cylinder 1996 GMC Sonoma?


User Avatar
Wiki User
September 12, 2011 8:54PM

Well, first of all, if by clutch actuator, you mean the device that pushes on the clutch plates to engage and disengage the clutch, you are going to have to separate the motor from the transmission. Then you will see where the hydraulic lines come into transmission through the bell housing. At that point you will need to disconnect the lines and pull off the actuator, then replace it with a new one. You will also need to bleed the lines- same concept as bleeding brake lines. make sure that there is enough fluid in the reservoir. This is allot of work, so unless your either very ambitious, or a mechanical minded person, its probably best done by a professional. In order to separate the transmission from the motor, you need to remove the rear drive shaft, and the transmission mounts. its alot of work to tackle, especially if you don't have adequate tools. Hope this helps, Drew

PS if this is not what you meant post it and i will receive a email