How do you replace the fuel filter located on a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE?
- Note - introduction states warning about fuel and awareness required when working around flamable things, like the fuel system...
"1. Relieve the fuel system pressure (see chapter 4). Disconnect the cable from the negative terminal of the battery. *** Note - at this point there is a warning about the antitheft capability being disrupted if the lockout feature is not turned off before disconnecting the battery.
2. Raise the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands.
3. The fuel filter is mounted on the floor pan just in front of the fuel tank (see illustration [see comment below marked "#1"] ).
4. Use compressed air or carburetor cleaner to clean any dirt surrounding the fuel inlet and outlet line fittings.
5. Once all the dirt has been removed, twist the two lines a quarter-turn in opposite directions to loosen the fitting. Depress the white plastic quick-disconnect tabs and detach the inlet line from the fuel filter (see illustration [see comment below marked "#2"] ). Note: Have spare rags or a small container to catch or wipe up extra gasoline that will spill from the filter assembly.
6. Use an open end wrench to steady the outlet side of the filter and a flare nut wrench to unscrew the fuel line nut, then separate the outlet line from the filter while noting the installed position of the O-ring. Using a flare nut wrench will help to avoid rounding the corners off of the fuel line nut.
7. Detach the fuel filter mounting bracket bolt and remove the fuel filter.
8. Installation is the reverse of removal. Note: Be sure to install a new O-ring on the outlet line before reassembling."
- 1 Illustration on same page (figure 23.3) claims "The fuel filter (arrow) is located underneath the vehicle in front of the gas tank".
- 2 Illustration on same page (figure 23.5) claims "Squeeze the white plastic quick-disconnect tabs together and pull the inlet line (A) away from the filter, then detach the outlet line (B) from the fuel filter - unbolt the filter mounting bracket to remove the fuel filter".
hopefully this helps a bit. if you don't know how to depressurize your system post and I'll try to keep an eye open for it. good luck and be safe.