Center mount brake light bulb replacement procedure for a 1999 Lexus RX300
1. Open the rear hatch/door that contains the center mount brake light.
2. Locate the trim piece that is directly behind the center mount brake light. This would be the horizontal trim piece at the top of the hatch.
3. The trim piece is attached to the door via 4 clips. Grab the trim piece with both hands, getting your fingers and thumb behind the top and bottom of the trim piece, and give it a good pull straight towards you. Trust me you will not break anything if you pull it straight out. Mine came off on the first pull but I have fairly strong hands and fingers. The clip on the far left (drivers side) attaches differently than the other 3 so you might have to move the trim piece towards the glass AFTER the other 3 clips are loose.
4. Once you have the trim piece off, the back of the brake light fixture is visible. Just turn the bulb holder until it will pull out. Then remove burnt out bulb and replace with a new one ($1.99 at your local auto parts store). Once the new bulb is in, insert the bulb holder back into the fixture and turn it until it locks. Have someone hit the brake pedal to make sure it lights.
5. Now you have to replace the trim piece. I have found that this task is very easy if you remove the metal clips from the door and attach them to the trim piece instead of trying to line everything up with the clips in the door. Use needle nose pliers to remove the clips from the door being carefull not to scratch any painted metal. You may have to squeeze them a little to get them out. Once out, place them on the plastic tabs on the trim piece. The tabs line up with the clip holes in the door. As you now can see, the left clip is different. It hooks over the door rather that going into a hole in the door. When all four clips are installed on the trim piece, you are ready to put it back on. Start by hooking the left clip on the door and line up the other 3 clips with their respective holes in the door. Once everything is lined up, give the trim piece a good pop with your hand directly over where the clips are. 4 pops and your done. Test the brake light again just in case something came loose.
Written by Davidb 1999 Lexus RX300 AWD
The brake light assembly can be access through the cargo compartment. Remove the cover to the brake light assembly. Take hold of the brake light connector, push in and turn at the same time. The brake light will come out. Reverse the process to install the new brake light.
The brakelight sensor is located on the brake switch, which is on top of the brake pedal and held on with a 14mm jam nut.
Follow the link below, labeled "How to replace a Lexus IS300 tail light"
Lexus RX300 brake light bulb lamp replacement procedure: Purchase the correct replacement brake light bulb(s) first, before disassembling the vehicle. See sources and related links below for replacement brake light bulb information. Then consult your owner's manual for the replacement procedure. As simple as it sounds, the owner's manual is the best place to start for brake light bulb lamp replacement instructions and illustrations. You may want to consider replacing both left and right at the same time in order to keep brightness and color equal (optional).
Vehicle Scid Control
Remove the wiring harness from the high mount brake light. Remove the back cover of the brake light assembly. Take hold of the brake light connector, push in and turn at the same time. Reverse the process to install the new brake light.
Remove the center piece of trim on the inside of the lift gate. it just pulls off. then push up on the two tabs at the bottom of the light to remove it. then replace bulb with the correct bulb. .....
you dont you get a new car
remove bulb from in side the boot
Lexus IS300 3rd brake light is changed from the back seat. Pry the light up and disconnect wiring. Replace bulb and put back together. Easy job
You have light bulb that is burned out at the back of the vehicle.