How does a mother give custody of a child to father if they were never married?

The best, easiest, and safest way to do this would be to get a lawyer(one that knows custody cases), have them draw up the papers, you and the father both sign them, and the lawyer will file them and get the judge to sign them. Should take no more than 6 to 8 months at the most.