Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered 2011-05-07 19:00:25

The California DMV's Occupational Licensing is pretty clear on this one.

If you intend to sell even a single vehicle "with the intention to make a profit" you need a dealer license. A wholesale license allows you to sell to other dealers, a retail license allows you to sell to the public.

If the vehicles are titled in your name (and taxes paid), it's very unlikely you would ever be confronted by the DMV.

You'll show up somewhere / get caught when you're trying to re-sell a vehicle that is currently in someone else's name. This would require you to forge a new bill of sale for the next buyer.


Related Questions

You can only sell 3 cars per year before needing a dealers license.

You can sell 3 without needing a dealers license. If you sell that 4th car you re considered a dealer and need a license.

trying to help a friend with the answer to this question

Three or more Vehicles sold in a 12 month period requires a Dealers License.

Not sure about ND but it is 3 cars a year in some states.

You don't have to get the license BEFORE you live in California. You do, however, have to get it fairly quickly afterward: you must get a California license within 10 days of becoming a California resident. Certain people are not considered "residents" and are exempt from this, such as military personnel who happen to be stationed in California.

Here is a link to how many by state:

No. You have to clear the suspension before any state will give you a drivers license.

You can own as many as you want. However you can sell 4 before you need a dealers license. Sell that 5th car and you need a license.

I don't know if this answer will help, but in Canada it doesn't matter how many you sell in a year all that matters is how many you are selling at any given time. In the province of BC, if you are actively selling more than 4 vehicles at once, you need a dealer license. Anyone who sells, exchanges, or accepts trade-ins for new cars or buys used cars to resell them, or who sells four or more used cars in a 12-month period, must have a dealer license and renew it annually.

You can sell up to 4 in a 12 month period without a dealers license. When you sell that 5th vehicle you need a license.

California drivers license laws have a point system. For your drivers license to be suspended in California, you must lose 4 points in one year, or 6 points in two years, or 8 points in three years.

It really depends on the state's laws as to needing a permit before the actual license. Your local DMV will have all the information either on their official website or if you visit them personally to inquire about the matter.

how many days must a new resident to california have a valid license?

No. States share information regarding driver's licenses. You need to address your DUI before you can get your license back.

§ 503.024. EXCLUSIONS FOR DEALER. (a) A person is notrequired to obtain a dealer general distinguishing number if theperson:(1) sells or offers to sell during a calendar yearfewer than five vehicles of the same type that are owned andregistered in that person's name; or

Might be 6 or more.

From what I understand, having a California Commercial Driver's License Class A, you can have up to 4 points before your license is suspended.

You are already married. You can have a ceremony in California but the legal marriage took place in Las Vegas. If you apply for a marriage license in California they will ask if you have ever been married before. You must disclose that you are already married and California will not issue the marriage license.

yes you can but only if you were born in the year 1993 or before that. yes you can but only if you were born in the year 1993 or before that.

I think it 5 but call DMV to find out the know that one off hand I called Jessie White's office and they said you can sell 5 per year YOU ARE WRONG! 5 is a dealer. 4 is the Max. I am not allowed to post a link so go to departments>> vehicles/dealer >> remitter

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.