Children and the Law
Child Support

If a non-custodial father is in prison can he put a freeze on his child support or will it continue to add up?



User Avatar
Wiki User

Other states might be different, but in MN it will continue to add up, just because he is in jail doesn't mean the kid doesn't need to eat. No. In all US states court ordered child support will continue to be in affect while the person is incarcerated and the obligated parent will be held liable for arrearages. ---- In California, child support obligations will continue to accrue while you're down. You just simply need to petition the court for a change in child support because of a drastic change in your circumstances. When you get out, she'll have to file one to get it increased. You can file the paperwork yourself. If money's an issue, ask for a fee waiver form.