Asked in
Children and the Law
Divorce and Marriage Law
Child Support

If an adult child moves into her boyfriends' house does the custodial parent still get child support?


User Avatar
Wiki User
September 06, 2007 4:33PM

Unless there are unusually circumstances, once a minor becomes an adult under the laws of the state in which he or she lives (or as stated in the support order) child support ends. If he or she has established residence outside the custodial parent's home with the approval of the custodial parent, the obligated parent should petition the court to have the support order amended or rescinded. Child support money is for the support of minor children and not "owed" to the custodial parent. The custodial parent does have the legal right to sue the obligated parent for any arrearages or "extra" expenses incurred while the minor child was in his or her care.