If someone wants to spend a month in the US would they need a visa?

General Information: Foreigners who would like to visit the United States for leisure or tourism, are normally eligible to receive tourist visas. B-2 Tourist Visas are required for citizens of countries that are not included in the "visa waiver" program. Eligibility Requirements: Foreign nationals interested in visiting the United States for leisure or tourism, may apply for a B-2 tourist visa. Persons admitted to the United States under a B-2 tourist visa are not allowed to work or receive any kind of payment while being in the United States. Visa Waiver Program (VWP) Citizens of 27 countries do not need a U.S. visa for business or tourism visits of less than 90 days. However, if you will be receiving any compensation for your services or activities (i.e. lectures, presentations, etc.), you may need to apply for a visa. Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for more information. In order to enter to the United States without a visa, VWP travelers must meet these passport requirements by the following deadlines: June 26, 2005, all VWP travelers must have a machine-readable passport; October 26, 2005, all new passports issued by VWP countries must include a digital photo; October 26, 2006, all new passports issued by VWP countries must be e-Passports (includes a computer chip that stores biographic and biometric data). For more detailed information on these passport requirements, see this Department of Homeland Security guide: Visa Waiver Program Passport Requirement Timeline (PDF). Below is a list of the 27 VWP countries. For additional details and updates on the Visa Waiver Program, see the State Department