Best Answer

i am a custodial parent in Michigan. I've been to court to fight it, but unfortunately it is law that if the noncustodial parent is incarcerated they do not owe child support for the time that they are locked up. but if they owe back child support then you can seize anything they own.

User Avatar

Wiki User

โˆ™ 2011-09-13 05:33:29
This answer is:
User Avatar
Study guides

Create a Study Guide

Add your answer:

Earn +20 pts
Q: Is the noncustodial parent of a juvenile who has been incarcerated responsible to the custodial parent for child support during that period of time?
Write your answer...
Related questions

Most incarcerated juvenile offenders are held for status offenses?


Do you share a cell in juvenile detention centres?

Probably, depends on the country in which you are incarcerated.

Who is responsible for damages caused by a juvenile?

Legal parents or legal guardians are responsible for the damages caused by their juvenile.

Do you have to pay child support if juvenile is incarcerated?

Good question! I'm not an attorney, but I should hope that child support is not required if the juvenile is vacationing at the State Hotel. I know that people do not get SSI while incarcerated. Check with an attorney, or with someone at Family Court in your state.

Why is the role of the defense attorney in juvenile court ambivalent?

A defense attorney is responsible for defending juveniles in juvenile court. They are also responsible for negotiating pleas and sentences.

Does non custodial parent have to pay juvenile bills from Juvenal hall?

It's quite possible, yes.

How old to you have to be to go to jail?

If you are referring to "adult" jail, you would have to be 18 years of age, or else you will be incarcerated in a juvenile detention facility.

Can a minor go to prison for battery?

Yes, It's called "Juvie" or Juvenile Detention Center. You can receive a Juvenile Life sentence and be incarcerated until you are 21 years old. Some states the parents can also be held responsible too. Your best bet is to not look too far into which one your state does and just avoid conflict all together.

What courts hear cases of juvenile crime?

Juvenile courts are responsible for hearing juvenile crime cases. More serious crimes committed by juveniles may be sent to adult court.

Can a police officer question a minor?

A parent, legal guardian, or counsel acting in loco parentis is supposed to be present.Added: The above answer may apply if the juvenile is in a custodial situation.There is no prohibition against an officer conversing with, or asking, a juvenile questions in a non-custodial situation.

Can you runaway from home when you are 15 years old and not get in trouble with the authorities?

No, at fifteen you would considered a runaway, and either returned to your parents, incarcerated in juvenile detention, or placed in foster care.

Can police question a minor in new york?

Please define what you mean by "question." Can the police contact a juvenile and speak with them, talk to them, ask questions of them? Yes, they can. If they take a juvenile into custody and begin questioning them in a custodial situation, they should have a parent or guardian notified or present.

Do police officers have to give Miranda to juveniles to obtain a statement if the juvenile isn't in custody?

Unless your state has some special regulation, no. Miranda warnings are specific to custodial interrogation.

Is support enforced if the child goes into juvenile detention?

The non custodial parent is obligated to follow the terms of the child support order until the court amends or rescinds it. Arbitrarily ceasing support payments regardless of the circumstances might place the non custodial parent in a position of contempt of court.

Your godson is in juvenile hall but the courts are removing him from his home Can you gain custody of him?

Very difficult as you have no "legal" standing. However, you can still speak to court and custodial officials and possibly gain custody.

Can a minor child be questioned in the state of Georgia without a parent present?

Certainly. However, if the juvenile is in a custodial situation, actually under arrest for a crime, the parents/guardian are customarily notified.

If an eight year old girl killed an elderly women what would her punishment from the law be Would she be charged with murder like an adult or what?

She would probably be incarcerated and counseled in a juvenile facility until age 21.

what is juvenile?

Juvenile can be used as an adjective (juvenile crimes) and a noun (a juvenile).

Can the custodial parent bring a 15-year-old to the non-custodial parent and tell them if he is returned they will put him in boys school?

If a parent wishes to relinquish custodial rights it must be done through the court. Actions such as described obviously can happen, but threats and intimidation of anyone (especially children) is not advisable and certainly not acceptable. The welfare of the child is what is important. The custodial parent would not be able to place the child in any school (other than a private or boarding/educational facility) w/o ajudication via juvenile court.

What does the custodial parent and non costodial parent have to do when 17 year old is arrested?

The 17 year old is obviously a minor - it seems fairly obvious that ONE of his parents or a guardian is going to accompany him to court. The custodial parent seems like the obvious choice, since the juvenile is PRIMARILY in that parent's custody and control. However, if you wish to give a good impression to the juvenile court in cases such as this, it probably wouldn't hurt if BOTH parents came together (if possible) to appear with their child.

Is there a statute of limitations in the State of Wisconsin for collecting a juvenile fine and can the parent be obligated to pay?

Because they are a juvenile, the parents can be held responsible for the fine. While many debts do have limits on collection, those associated with fines seldom do.

At 17 doesn't the fact you can be incarcerated in prison cancel out the possibility of being charged with a juvenile crime?

Yes it does. You still can't sign a Contract/Lease until 18 or kicked out until age 18, but you can leave home at 17.

If a 16-year-old who lives with her mother in New York leaves and goes to Alabama to live with her father would she be considered a runaway?

No, not as long as the minor child notifies the custodial parent (in this instance the mother) of his or her whereabouts. However, the custodial parent (mother) can petition the court to have the juvenile returned to her custody is the minor child refuses to do so voluntarily.

Which states allow juvenile delinquency judgments?

In the United States most states have enacted a Juvenile Code that is applicable to persons not old enough to be held responsible for criminal acts. The Federal Juvenile Delinquency Prevention Act defines juvenile delinquency and sets forth rules regarding court procedures and punishment. You need to do a state by state review to determine how each state handles juvenile delinquency. See related links.

What part of speech is juvenile?

Juvenile can be used as an adjective (juvenile crimes) and a noun (a juvenile).