Computer Hardware
Home Electricity
Electronics Engineering
Appliance Voltage and Travel Issues

Is there anyway to get 120V 60hz from a 240V 50hz power supply?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2011-09-13 06:05:31
2011-09-13 06:05:31
The way I have 110VAC/60Hz is to take 12DC power supply and 12DC to 110AC 60Hz converter, designed for car use and can be found in the netshops. Answer The way that industry used to do this is to run a motor-generator combination. The motor is matched to and runs from the available power supply while the generator is designed for the desired output. If you have a 220/50hz generator, you need to adjust the govenor to raise the speed 120%, and either find the center tap of the 220 or get a 2:1 step-down transformer which is readily available. ?Answer The above answers completely answer your question, but you might not need the 60Hz part (depending on what you are trying to run). I have lived in Europe aboard a sailboat for a number of years, and everything on the boat (which is designed for 110V/60Hz) runs fine on 110V/50Hz, with the exception of the Microwave oven. Getting 110V/50Hz from 220V/50 Hz is as simple as a 2:1 Transformer, which is readily available. Most modern TV & VCRs seem to work on 50 or 60 Hz without a problem. Check the label on the device to see if it will work with 50Hz. (Motors are the most likely to have problems and could potentially burn up running at 50 instead of 60). ?Answer To go with the above answer, clocks will not work correctly as they are tuned to the frequency and the only other appliance I had a problem with was my computer monitor for some reason. ?Answer No you CAN NOT get 110v/60hz from a 220v/50hz power supply.
The following answer maybe more in tune with the question. In North America our domastic single power supplies are 110/220/60hz or 120/240/60hz or 120/208/60hz etc. In simple terms to explain the way to generate these power supplies are to connect two generators or generator windings in series (3 wire system, lets give them a color code of Black-White-Red)(White=centre tap or neutral wire) with output of 110 volt obtain from Black with White or Red with White and 220 volt from Black with Red. While in Europe the power supply is 220v/50hz generated with one generator with no tap for 110v/50hz. ?Answer The motor-generator method is the traditional method, but for the last 30 or 40 years, and electronic method would usually be preferred. Frequency changing is much more complicated than voltage changing, but it can be done, even up to gigawatt levels. A rectifier first converts the power to DC, and an inverter then produces the required output frequency and voltage. The first answer gave an example of this approach.

Related Questions

User Avatar

In the US, both 120v and 240v will be needed for your home, as different appliances need different voltages. Your TV needs 120V, while your electric dryer and stove will need a 120V/240V supply. If you have an electric water heater, or central AC unit, they will need a 240V supply.

User Avatar

You cannot use 2-120v outlets to power a 240v dryer. You can convert a 240v dryer outlet to power 2-120v outlets if they are supplied with a neutral. This requires a competent electrician. Do not do this yourself.

User Avatar

As long as the power supply allows you to toggle between 240v and 120v input, Yes.

User Avatar

No, you must break it down to a 120 volt supply.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.