To whom do you report identity theft and hackers?

It depends on what kind of identity theft you're talking about. If someone has opened accounts in your name using your personal identity, it would show up on your credit reports and you should file a police report with your local jurisdiction. It should also be reported to the Federal Trade Commission at 877-ID-THEFT.

Identity theft occurring over the internet or using the internet should be reported to the FBI, as the internet is federal jurisdiction. You can reach the FBI's Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC) at That site acts as a clearinghouse, directing complaints to the proper authorities and agencies.

Identity theft occurring through the US mail system should be reported to the USPS Postal Inspector. There are local offices in every state.

People whose social security numbers are being used can usually make a report to the local police, though that report is generally for records purposes and only provides the victim with a case number to prove they've been to the police. They need to also report the identity theft to the Social Security Administration and the IRS, because payment of taxes is often affected.