Commercial Insurance
Liability Insurance
Building and Carpentry

What is an insured contractor?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
Answered 2011-09-01 03:55:37

An insured contractor is a contractor who carries a Commercial General Liability Insurance Policy.


Your Answer

Related Questions

It depends on the concrete contractor. Some of them will be insured while others will be uninsured.

Need an insured siding contractor in Ft. Woth? Go to and veiw contractor service reports and get a quote from the pros.

Generally you just ask the contractor if he's insured, before hiring them.

In Australia he does. He normally has to show the contractor evidence that he is insured otherwise the contractor is held responsible.

can a contractor have liability insurance backdated to show the company was insured

When you are getting a contractor to paint make sure to ask the following questions: Are You Insured? What Kind of Experience Do You Have? Who Will Be Working At My House? What is the Timeline for My Project?

No, homeowners insurance does not provide coverage nor warranty for our chosen contractors quality of workmanship. That's why we always want to verify that a contractor is insured before allowing them to start work on our home. The first sign of a reputable contractor is that they carry the appropriate coverage for the work or services they offer. Never hire a an un-insured contractor.

What is the average hourly rate for a landscape contractor-Licensed and insured

There is no legal requirement for a contractor to be insured as of yet. However, It would likely be very difficult to get any work or contracts if your not insured. Although the state does not require you be insured, your customers most likely will require it. Having General Liability Insurance though is the first sign that you are hiring a responsible and perhaps reputable Contractor. Most GC's and clients will require that you provide proof of financial responsibility or "insurance" before they will give you the job. You show up with a bid and no insurance, they might consider that you are not a serious contractor and you're wasting their time.

The penalty is YOU LOSE. They are not bonded or insured and your loss is just that. GOOD LUCK!

You are the insured. Your landlord or partner or banker may be the additional insured. They have a financial interest in or liability at stake with whatever it is you are insuring. It does not cost you more to name an additional insured. Why didn't you aks your agent this question? Can the person I was working for withold money owed to me because I did not put him under additionaly insured? Not legally unless it was contractually noted. If you did not have a loss you can just add the additional insured now. In a contractor/subcontractor relationship the contractor may request the subcontractor to name him "additional insured". In the event that a liability issue arises and is caused by the work of the subcontracor, the subcontractor's insurance will not only cover any claims made against the sub, but will also provide claims made against the contractor in regards to the sub's negligence. Many insurance companies DO charge a flat fee or a percentage based fee to name an additional insured.

Means he is legal with the state and if he screws up you can sue him.

There is no such thing. In the United States the insured has the right to hire whomever they want to effect the repairs.

If the insured elects to do the work themselves, profit is not usually included in the estimate. Insurance policies are not in place to profit the insured. They are to make the insured whole again. Overhead would be included.

The CG2037 Additional Insured form is a form that provides coverage to the additional insured named on it (which is usually a contractor) for the insured's work (ie:completed operations) completed for that additional insured after the project is done for liability of property damage or bodily injury.

Liability insurance is required for contractors in many states as a requisite to work. It protects both the contractor - the worker, and you - the employer, from any liability if the contractor is injured on the job (at your home.) Basically, if he is insured, you don't have to worry about being sued if he gets hurt on your property.

The primary contractor is going to have to cover the loss since the uninsured sub was working for them. It is the General contractors responsibility to make sure his sub-contractors were properly insured.

It is contractor's all risk policy to be insured by contractor for the work.

Not much. Your insurer provides funds for a covered loss. You choose your contractor that you want to do the work. It is the homeowners responsibility to hire a reputable (preferably insured) contractor to perform the repairs.

Being licensed basically states that the contractor has the knowledge expected to perform the services indicated on the license.Being insured means that while he's doing the job you hired him to do, if he backs his truck into the wall of your garage or sets fire to your home, he has insurance that can pay for damages or to have it fixed.

The answer depends on how the contractor is employed by the association. If the contractor is bonded, insured and licensed -- best practices indicate this is the best position for the association, to require these documents from a contractor -- then the association's insurance requirements are different from those required by an association that hires a casual laborer. Review your insurance requirements with your broker, and describe how you plan to use the contractor on a regular basis, or a one-time basis. Your broker can best advise you about the insurance you need.

Bona-fide sub-contractors are generally deemed to be contractors who work without direction from the Insured, hold their own insurance and usually provide their own materials and tools. As long as they are not working under the direction of the Insured, have their own legal liabilities and insure for themselves, there is no need to include them in the count of employees. What insurers will not do is extend the insured's policy to include the legal liabilities of the bona-fide sub-contractor - they should have their own public liability insurance in their own name. Please note that it is a condition of most insurance policies that the Insured checks that bona-fide sub-contractors have their own public liability cover to at least the same limit of indemnity as the Insured before they appoint them.

No, the state of Texas does not require it as of the time of this answer. However, most Texas clients are financially savvy and are not likely to offer a contract or even accept a bid from an un-insured contractor. The first hallmark of a reputable contractor is that they come properly insured for the services being offered by contract bid. In other words, Your bid proposal should include documentation signifying that you are insured and that your coverage meets any minimum requirements of the bid as proffered. If your an un-insured contractor, you can't expect serious consideration of your bid. You also might not be invited to bid for that client again in the future. Proper insurance and required coverage limits are generally part of the bid requirement to begin with.

You don't. You simply hire a reputable contractor who provides the insurance necessary for his or her line of work. Never hire a contractor who can not show you that he is properly insured for the job being offered. It is the contractors responsibility ( not the customer ) to provide coverage necessary to cover his workers as well as any accidental damage to your property. If your contractor give you any flak or hesitancy at all when asked about his insurance, you need to find another contractor.

Typically tile floor workers will be insured under your general contractor. Make sure that he can prove he has good insurance for all his workers.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.