Children and the Law
Blood Types

Who can obtain custody of a baby if the mother does not want the responsibility and the father is incarcerated?

User Avatar
Wiki User
2007-06-27 17:32:36

First both parents would need to relinquish parental rights or

have those rights terminated by the court. Judges prefer to place

children in the custody of a qualified family member rather than in

foster homes, grandparents, adult siblings, aunts, uncles are taken

into consideration first. The state's department of social services

does an extensive investigation of such situations and submits

their findings and recommendations to the presiding judge of the

family court. The judge makes custodial decisions based on what is

best for the child and not the wishes of other persons


Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.