Well I do not agree entirely, depending how bad the plastic was melted and what KIND of plastic it was originally, you could definitely have some toxin. But I do agree on running the load again...
This detailed answer was placed on the discussion page by user "Chris Plastic" (see link to profile on discussion page):
A plastic item placed in a dish-washer would normally be intended for food contact use. If the material was a thermoplastic (e.g., polypropylene), reheating to viscous fluid and then cooling to solid does not usually result in significant breakdown. Such plastics can usually be dishwashed without problem. Thermoset materials are often regarded as plastics (e.g., Melamine). They would tend to eventually breakdown into smaller particles, ultimately into powder, rather than remelting. They can have good dishwasher stability.That food-contact plastic would be normally approved by the US FDA (Food and Drug Administration) possibly for repeat use. They would screen plastics for the impact of chemicals which could migrate out of them. I doubt if dishwashing tests are specifically conducted, but sensitive tests are conducted to determine the nature of these migrating chemicals and their concentration. The likely toxicity would then be assessed. These tests would dictate whether or not FDA approval is granted.Harmful toxins are unlikely to be released. Anything migrating from the plastic would be expected to be flushed away along with the grease, etc., washed from the other items.Materials like polymethylmethacrylate (acrylic, e.g., Plexiglas) and polycarbonate (e.g., Lexan) can both crack and craze especially if items are packed tightly in a dishwasher. However, this is not linked to your comments about toxicity.
In an empty dishwasher, fill a dishwasher safe cup with vinegar and start the cycle. During the rinse, fill that cup with bleach and let the cycle finish. Not only will you clean your dishwasher, you will remove the odor.
Most plastic kitchenware is top rack washable.
plastic plants are not harmful to your goldfish aquarium.
Um..... put soap in the dishwasher, put the dishes in, and start the load?!
If you can smell burnt plastic then you could potentially be in danger. Smoke from burning plastic can be harmful to breathe.
Plastic is very harmful to the environment. About 400 cows die yearly as they eat plastic that is littered around. Plastic does not decay into the ground by the action of microorganisms but it stays in the environment, this is the main reason plastic is harmful. DON'T LITTER.
Yess it is pefectly fine too
The dishwasher usually does it OK for me.
gases released by burning plastic are harmful.
the use of plastic can be harmful to the environment because you often can't reuse it without chemicals getting into the plastic so you throw it away so harmful chemicals get into the landfill
no it is harmful