What rights does an adult child have living in the home of deceased parents with no will?

already exists.

Would you like to merge this question into it?

already exists as an alternate of this question.

Would you like to make it the primary and merge this question into it?

exists and is an alternate of .

Anyone living in such a home has only the rights granted by the heirs who acquire the home under the local statutes of intestacy. If they want you evicted immediately, they can obtain a court order to do that. If they want to charge you rent, or long-term lease, they can do that. If they want to give you the right to stay there for "free" for the rest of your life, they can do that.

Your only "rights" would be those provided in state law for any other "tenant at will", such as 30-day notice to get out.

 Another Perspective/ClarificationIf the last parent died intestate their property will pass to their heirs at law according to the state laws of intestacy. If there is more than one child, all will inherit an equal share of the property as tenants in common. In either case the estate must be probated in order for title to lass legally to the heirs. Any estate that contains real estate must be probated in order to establish title and the estate should be probated immediately.

All the heirs at law have an undivided share in the property so each has the right to the use and possession of the whole property. However, once an administer for the estate is appointed they will have authority over the assets and responsibility to settle the estate. Arrangements could be made for the child who resided with the parent to continue living there, however, the family must come to an agreement and the child will need to pay their own expenses.

You need to probate the estate and consult with an attorney who can review your situation and explain your options.
14 people found this useful

Is an adult child responsible for the debts of a deceased parent when they have joint ownership of a home?

Answer . \nThe home could be in jeopardy for creditor action depending upon how the deed is worded and the laws of the state in which the property is located.\n. \nIt wou

Is an adult child responsible for paying the credit card debt of a deceased parent who died without a will if they are a joint owner of the home in Michigan?

\n Probate \n. \nThe "estate" is responsible for the financial obligations of the deceased, meaning that a life insurance policy is to be cashed in and/or anything that h

How does an adult child cash a deceased parents check written to the deceased?

Open an estate with the probate court. Request to be appointed as the executor. The court will issue a letter of authorization that will allow you to cash the check on behalf

Do parents of a deceased child have the same rights?

Both parents of a deceased child have an equal right of inheritance. If one parent had custody that parent has the right to make funeral arrangements but the other parent shou

What are the rights of a child to a deceased parents estate?

Assuming there is no Will in place which excludes the child from the parents estate, and depending on the existence of other parties with interests in the estate [i.e..bro

Should adult child of a deceased parent transfer savings account to the living parent?

This is a difficult question to answer without knowing more information. Were you the Executor of the deceased's parent estate? Was the will probated? Who's name (or names) wa
In Probate

What rights does an adult child have living in the home of deceased parent with a will dividing property equally among 3 other siblings?

The child who is living in the home will need to come to an agreement with the other siblings who are the new owners of the property along with the resident sibling. They may