Can eating sponge hurt?
July 13, 2007 8:36PM
This is something that I have wanted to know for a long time but as far as I know the simple answer is no. I have been eating sponge since I was about 9 years old and I am now 22, its not something I want to do but its a craving- this is known as pica an eating disorder mainly found in children between 18-20months and people with learning difficulties but is known of in adults without. As for can it hurt you well your body cannot actually digest it so it passes through your digestive system without causing much harm from toxins in the material used in making sponges but small particles can become lose and may gather in the digestive tract to form a bezoar. Because the sponge cannot be digested as it is passing through your system it can cause ulcers (from soaking up the acid). It also might damage the tiny ‘hairs’ called cilia in you oesophagus, small and large intestines (this helps to move the food and faeces through your system. It would also depend on if the sponge has been used or not and if it has been in contact with toxins. All of this is just my personal view at though moment and I am trying to find answers so will let you know if or when I find evidence that will answer your question.