Alcoholism
Cold and Flu
Cat Health

Can you drink rubbing alcohol?

818283

Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2015-10-10 15:48:48
2015-10-10 15:48:48

NO! Rubbing alcohol is actually "wood alcohol". [Wood alcohol is Methanol, not Isporpyl Alcohol, which is what is typically considered "rubbing alcohol"]. Not at all the same as "grain alcohol" which is what is in alcoholic beverages. Wood alcohol can cause blindness or even death. Bad idea. You can have HORRIBLE intestinal pains, liver damage, other physical problems then probably a slow, horrible death.

ALSO

If you do some research you will find that one of the components that Isopropyl alcohol breaks down into is acetone in your body, essentially you are drinking a poison which turns into a different poison (fingernail polish remover). You will have severe gastric distress with comsumption which will not be at all a pleasant experience.

The LD50 for isopropanol is around 15 grammes for a 70kg adult. It's metabolised to acetone, which is, however, only mildly poisonous, so i don't know why it's as toxic as it is. It's not wood alcohol, which is methanol, but is made using sulphuric acid and the petrochemical propene, a gas.

Answer

Rubbing alcohol is not wood alcohol, or methanol (which makes you blind at 10mL and dead at 30mL). It is simply an alcohol that is vaporized at a higher temperature than ethanol or drinking alcohol. It is not safe to drink by any means, but you dont need sulphuric acid to make it, or petrochemical propane. It can be produced by vaporizing a fermented alcohol at above 82oC. As said before, it can kill you or cause heavy liver damage. dont do it!

1
๐Ÿ™
0
๐Ÿคจ
0
๐Ÿ˜ฎ
0
๐Ÿ˜‚
0

Related Questions

User Avatar

Do NOT Drink Rubbing Alcohol It can cause blindness. Rubbing alcohol is "isopropyl" alcohol, not the same chemical as grain alcohol, ("ethyl" alcohol). Don't drink it! Rubbing alcohol is POISONOUS to drink!

User Avatar

yes if they drink it do not feed cats rubbing alcohol

User Avatar

It is a mixture of denatured alcohol, water and agents added to make the alcohol unpalatable to drink and sometimes colorants. There are two common types of rubbing alcohol, Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol and Ethyl Alcohol Rubbing Alcohol.

User Avatar

It is not recommended to drink rubbing alcohol; the bottle must be clearly labelled.

User Avatar

For gawds sake, don't drink this !!! It will kill YOU!!Consult a doctor. Rubbing alcohol is for external use only. Do not drink it!!

User Avatar

No, a person will not be poisoned after licking a finger that once touched rubbing alcohol. Only if you drink the rubbing alcohol will you get sick.

User Avatar

It is always bad to drink rubbing alcohol. It's poisonous.

User Avatar

Very much so. Drinking alcohol is called ethanol. Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) on the other hand is very hazardous if consumed. DO NOT try to drink rubbing alcohol.

User Avatar

You shouldn't ever drink rubbing alcohol. It isn't the same as the alcohol in beer, wine, whiskey, etc. Rubbing alcohol is very dangerous and cause things like blindness and death.

User Avatar

Usually rubbing alcohol contains methyl alcohol. It will kill you or at-least make you blind. Never use rubbing alcohol for drinking purpose. Specially when you have so many good alcohol beverages to drink.

User Avatar

Consuming drinking alcohol, which is highly toxic, can be fatal.

User Avatar

Commonly the concentration of ethanol in rubbing alcohol is 70 %.But because many recipes exist, read the label on the bottle; don't drink rubbing alcohol.

User Avatar

Another name in trade for isopropyl alcohol is rubbing alcohol. RUBBING ALCOHOL is called ISOPROPYL alcohol and is for external use only. It's considered a RUBEFACIENT TOPICAL ANTIMICROBIAL and is NOT made from Ethyl or Grain (booze) alcohol. DON'T drink it!!

User Avatar

rubbing alcohol will not show on a drug test unless you drink it, which would not be a good idea.

User Avatar

== == Yes sure you can ...if you wonยดt drink the alcohol. :)

User Avatar

There is nothing good that can come of drinking 4 or more ounces of rubbing alcohol. You will get very sick.

User Avatar

Typically the type of alcohol in rubbing alcohol is ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL. If someone were to drink this, the body would convert it into acetone. Acetone can cause problems by itself, not exactly alcohol poisoning, but acetone poisoning.

User Avatar

If you haven't already done it, don't drink rubbing alcohol. It's poisonous. If you have already drunk the rubbing alcohol, call the poison control center. Depending on the dosage, they can advise you how best to proceed.

User Avatar

The word "alcohol" in the term "rubbing alcohol" is meant in the chemical sense. It is not the same kind of alcohol present in alcoholic drinks. Rubbing alcohol contains about 70% 2-propanol and 30% water. 2-propanol is actually poisonous, so you shouldn't drink it regardless.

User Avatar

No. Rubbing alcohol contains either Isopropyl or Denatured Ethyl alcohol.

User Avatar

Do you mean rubbing alcohol? If so, you will become very sick.

User Avatar

maybe it wont but i think they drink water

User Avatar

Basically you get weaker rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol is already a mixture of water and isopropyl alcohol.

User Avatar

No! Rubbing alcohol is not meant for drinking. There are many types of alcohol used for cleaning wounds and sterilization that are poisonous to drink.

User Avatar

No, rubbing alcohol is very flammable.


Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.