How do adopted children find their birth parents?

One of the best ways to do this is to file a "Petition to Break the Seal of Adoption." Once the legal seal is broken (the fee to do this yourself - known as "Pro Se" in the legal world - is around $100) you can then get a copy of your original birth certificate with your birth parents names. There will be a fee for that also, usually about $50. You will need to contact the courthouse where you were adopted (search for Family court, not criminal court - they are in different buildings in most states). Once you have the names of your birth parents, you can begin searching for them. If you are fortunate to live (be adopted in) the states of Kansas or Alaska, then there is no seal, so it is easier to get the original birth certificate. Most of the paperwork you have to file requires you to be the adopted person yourself. Unless you are an attorney, you can almost never do this for someone else. Lawyers usually charge anywhere from $2000 and up. So it probably is a good idea to do a lot of research and go "Pro Se." As I write this I am working on it myself. You probably have to be at least 18 years old. Also the paperwork and laws vary greatly - not just from state to state - but also because of the year you were adopted. Ask the Family court what forms you need and what fees and payment are required, and get them notarized. Some require you to put down a reason. The most common are to check for medical history or to establish contact. I would go with the "medical history" reason because it sounds more official, and who knows - you may actually find some medical information that could come in handy. I hope it works out for you. - Bruce S.