I don't know if your 96 is the same as mine, but I just did this job on a 95 Corsica with 3.1 V6. On mine, I had to lower the engine to get at the bolt holding the tensioner on the engine.
(I used 15mm open ended wrench)
all the way up to 15 mmm engine mounting bolts.
1. Set rear brake and chock rear tires
2. Loosen lug nuts on passenger side front tire.
3. Lift and support front of car on jack stands. I recommend placing them beneath front tires, under the jack notches, at the lowest heights.
4. Remove tire and mud guard(s) to expose the lower pulley assembly. You should be able to see the front crank shaft pulley wheel with the tensioner assembly located to the left.
5. Loosen the serpentine belt and slip it off of the alternator. Leave the belt on the car unless it absolutely needs replacement (A separate job that possibly requires removing a different set of bolts and mounts than what is described in step 9).
6. Use hydraulic service jack with sufficient lift (despite the fact that the car is already on jacks) and support to reach the oil pan, raise the engine 1-2 inches, and, most importantly, support the engine while you lower it in step 10. I used a $70 3-ton service jack from Wal-Mart. Anything lighter and cheaper probably won't work.
7. Place plywood between the jack head and the oil pan and raise the engine 1-2 inches in order to relieve pressure of engine mounting bolts.
8. Wedge a wood 2x4 (approx. 2' long) behind the alternater. This will allow better access to the tensioner bolt by keeping the engine from rolling towards the firewall during step 10, and it can be used as a pry bar to help realine the these bolt holes during reassembly.
9. Remove the three 15 mm bolts from the engine mounting bracket closest to the pulley assembly. On mine car there were two in back and one in front.
10. Slowly unscrew service jack handle and watch the passenger side of the engine lower. Let it down very slowley until you can see/get to the tensioner bolt. Retighten the jack handle. If you are not going to block the engine at this heigth and will only rely upon the jack to hold the engine while you replace the tensioner, DO NOT GET UNDER THE ENGINE FOR ANY REASON (you should not need to anyway).
11. You should now be able to see the tensioner bolt. I used standard socket with ratchet and 4" extender. If angle is extreme, you might need to use a swivle. Also, you might also need to unclip the coolant hose from its fender brackets and lower it or pull it back to improve access the the bolt.
12. Remove and replace tensioner.
13. Reroute serpentine belt around the tensioner and all other other pulleys except for the alternator.
14. Do reverse of steps 10 - 1. JOB COMPLETE.
on a 96 (3.1 V6) it's a side mount it is on the passenger side of the car on the side of the engine, very close to the fender. the tensioner wheel will accept either an open end wrench or a 1/2 inch or larger pull bar. You will need a pull bar to change the tensioner or the belt, you can rent them from many autoparts stores.
How do you get 1000000 robux for free?
What's the most outdated thing you still use today?
If you are 13 years old when were you born?
What is Spider-Mans phone number?
How many children did Alexander Hamilton have?
Why did Aaron Burr shoot and kill Alexander Hamilton?
Which city produces the most breakfast cereal?
How many times does 8 go into 75?
What is modal fabric??
What were George Washingtons false teeth made from?
Who was Yale University named after?
What determines whether you are left or right handed?
What would you do if the internet was suddenly gone?
What is the longest plate appearance in MLB history?
What is the official name of the Statue of Liberty?
Why can't we remember our dreams?
What are the advantages of turnaround document?
What are advantages and disadvantages of micro planning?
How does a miptor exercise?
Is Randy Fenoli married to Liza Menelli or is Michael Landry his partner?
Are the friction losses of an induction machine linear?
BA-28 which is a recommended water-skiing safety practice?
Are friction losses of the machine linear?
Which three square numbers that add up to 125?
Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.