Divorce and Marriage Law
Citizenship and Marriage
Marriage Licenses

Is a Mexican marriage license legal in the US?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2014-11-21 17:03:30
2014-11-21 17:03:30

The license must be issued by the county where the ceremony is to take place. A legal marriage in Mexico is valid in the US.

User Avatar

Related Questions

No a license has no legal standing. However, a legal marriage in Mexico is binding in the US, a certificate of marriage is needed.

In US law a common law marriage does have some legal standing; but is not considered a legal marriage. In most cases a legal marriage anywhere in the world is considered legal in the United States. Therefore if Mexico considers you to be married then the US does too.

Yes. However, if you move to Mexico, you will need to register your US marriage with the Registro Civil in the Mexican town where you live in order to receive any benefit from the Mexican government. If you are merely visiting, then this is not necessary.

Yes, the US recognizes legal marriages performed in other countries. This does not mean that the Mexican citizen can enter the US without using the procedure required by US immigration laws.

Yes. There is no citizenship requirement for marriage in the US. A foreign passport should be enough for you to obtain a marriage license in any of the 50 US states. Showing a matricula consular with a US address may be a bad idea.

Yes, it can be. You need to bring copies of your marriage certificate and license to file with your state and county recorder. Otherwise your marriage may not be recognized in all cases.

Yes. Your Social Security office should accept it when applying for a name change, etc.

If it is legal in the Bahamas, it is legal in the US.

If the marriage was legal where it was performed, the US will recognize it as a legal marriage, with the responsibilities and obligations expected.

I believe that you still have to get a marriage license here in the United States.

No it is not a valid license. However, a properly executed marriage in Scotland will be legally recognized in the US with a Certificate of Marriage from Scotland.

Canada does not recognize US marriage licenses. They do recognize US certificates of marriage.

Yes, beginning in June 2013, same-sex marriages are legal for the purposes of US Immigration Law, as long as they were legal in the place where they were performed.

If the marriage is legal in Barbados, the US will recognize the marriage as being legal.

I'm not sure how a person is 'illegal,' but if the marriage is recognized as legal in the country it was performed in, the US will recognize it as a legal marriage.

You can get these: Permanent Resident Card (green card), library card, US marriage license (and certificate), municipal ID, drivers license (in some states). In many states, you cannot get a drivers license unless you already have a green card. You must be naturalized to obtain these: US passport, Social Security Card, US Passport Card.

You are already married, you can't apply for a license. The US will recognize a valid marriage in another country.

you can marry when you are fifteen, sixteen (in other states) with your parents consent. they have to sign a legal document and must obtain a marriage license to follow through with the process

You do not need to. The license and certificate will be issued by Romania.

It is not good in Canada. The license should be issued by the government were the ceremony is. A certificate of marriage from the US will be recognized as valid in Canada.

A Muslim marriage is generally recognized inside the US, as long as it is legal in the jurisdiction in which the marriage took place. A Muslim marriage is generally recognized inside the US, as long as it is legal in the jurisdiction in which the marriage took place.

The US does recognize marriages conducted in other countries. The marriage does have to be legal in Canada for it to be legal in the US. And copies of the certificate should be kept available for legal validation.

No state requires citizenship for obtaining a marriage license. The US citizen presents his US ID to the clerk. The non-US citizen presents his foreign passport. You pay the fee and they issue you the license.

Copyright ยฉ 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.