Law & Legal Issues
US Government
US Military
US Military Law

Is an Alford Plea admissible in a US military court?

Be the first to answer!


Be the first to answer!

Who doesn't love being #1?

Be the first to answer this question.

Related Questions

An Alford plea is a plea in a criminal court in which the defendant does not admit guilt but concedes the government has sufficient evidence to convict.

Perhaps. It depends upon the state in which the accused agreed to make ab Alford Plea and accept sentencing, rather than stand trial. In many states such a plea is easily overturned and the case continued or dismissed.

I strongly suggest you consult an attorney before considering it. Are you certain you want to run that risk? It was YOU that offered the Alford plea. You had the option of going to trial - but obviously chose not to.

The first point is to understand that there are multiple types and levels of courts within the US judicial system. A plea is an accused person's formal reply to a charge in a criminal court:Guilty - A plea by a defendant who does not contest a charge.Not Guilty - A plea of legally innocent of a crime which they have been accused.No Contest - To not admit the charge, but have no means to dispute it that the court will recognize. (Latin term nolo contendere)An Alford Plea results with the court finding the defendant guilty or the defendant pleading guilty but not necessarily admitting to all the facts of the crime. It's usually made in conjunction with a plea agreement. The defendant doesn't admit the criminal act but concedes the prosecution has enough evidence to prove the charges. Alford pleas are treated differently in different jurisdictions and can result in different outcomes under various state laws.

This was a case that was tried, and established the Alford Plea. Essentially, a person charged with a crime can please 'no lo', guilty, not guilty, or Alford. Alford establishes that the accused admits no crime, but only admits that if the case were to be tried with a jury, there is a possibility that he/she may be convicted.

It is false that plea bargaining is becoming increasingly rare, especially in urban court systems. A plea bargain is also referred to as a plea agreement.

No, they are not synonymous. A 'plea' is what THE DEFENDANT OFFERS to the court. A CONVICTION is the 'finding' of the court after considering all evidence and testimony.

The televised plea called for donations.The suspect entered a plea of not guilty.Please, hear my desperate plea.

you have to get to together and file a court paper

In order to formulate a response to this question more must be known about the circumstances supporting the reason the chargees were "dropped."If the prosecutor did Nolle Prosse the charge, it generally means that their office believes that the facts presented to them did not meet, or support, the charge for which he was arrested.As to the viability of a civil case: the gravity of the subject matter requires that it be discussed with the attorney that is going to be retained to bring the civil suit. This site, as good as it is in many areas, is not the venue to address the possible outcome of such an action.Added: An Alford plea refers to a plea in which the defendant is not required to testify about the details of the offense when tendering his plea. The Alford plea cuts off one avenue of testimony which a civil litigant might have used against the defendant.

Yes, you can change your plea to guilty at any time up to - and including - your court appearance.

If you pled 'no contest' (which is effectively a 'guilty' plea) and the plea was accepted and you received judgement, it is pretty much too late to reverse your plea now. You could try submitting a motion to the court for a request to consider withdrawing your original plea, but it might be too late, and the only course of action open to you now would be to file an appeal with the Court of Appeals.

This is called the plea of no contest, or legally known as nolo contendere. However, some states do not allow no contest pleas for more serious crimes. In this case the defendant makes what is called an Alford plea, which is a plea of guilty but in the best interest of the defendant, not because the defendant is guilty.

To settle out of court for a lesser charge.

No, you have to be present to enter your plea.

He was pressed to death by the court for not entering a plea, and he didnt want to entertain the court byt entering a plea. EDIT: To enter a plea back then is like pleading innocent or quilty now. It is more likely that he refused to enter a plea because then he could not be tried and his wealth could not be confiscated, but would go to his family than he did it to aggravate the court.

It means that your attorney (or you) has petitioned the court to 'stay' and further prosecution while you consider offering a plea in the charges against you. It is only temporary.

I've been trying since 2005 to appeal a plea with a habeas corpus appeal due to new evidence we didn't have at the time of the plea, and since I agreed to take an Alford Kennedy plea but somehow that got lost in the paperwork somewhere. This is now 2012 and it's still pending, so I have no idea as yet if it will even work as they won't give me an answer. This is in West Virginia.

A plea and pass is a legal term that is used to describe a certain kind of agreement. If a person chooses a plea and pass, they plead guilty but the court defers an immediate finding. The court will make the person agree to complete a program and if they are successful, the case will be dismissed.

In the United States, state law determines under what circumstances you can enter a plea of no contest. If you need to know whether or not you can plead no contest on a particular charge, you should ask your attorney. If you're just curious, the answer is "maybe." In most cases, a court may decide whether or not to accept a plea of no contest after taking into account all the circumstances. Under special circumstances, it's even possible to plead guilty while maintaining your innocence. This is called an Alford plea. Again, you should consult your attorney on the advisability of this in any particular case.

Yes. Your plea of guilty would have to be accepted by the presiding judge, following a series of questions the judge will ask you concerning your plea offer and the fact that you're giving up your rights to a fair trial, that you have been explained by your attorney all the details of the plea offer, that if you're a non-US citizen or permanent residency you can be deported, and that you are pleading guilty because you are guilty (or it's in your best interest, a plea known as an Alford plea). If the judge is satisfied that you understand these ramifications they will accept the plea offer and then sentence you accordingly. If at any time before or during the above-mentioned questioning you want to withdraw the plea, you can do so. But once the judge accepts the plea offer and sentences you, you can't turn back.

Yes, 'the court' is not bound to accept a plea agreement made between the prosecutor and the defendant.

A "plea"' is the answer, which the defendant in a legal proceeding makes to the complaint against the defendant.To "plead" something means 'to present an arguament for.'

Sometimes. Courts will often accept a plea but hear evidence on the issue of sentencing.

"Plea Bargain" is a phrase that is applicable only to criminal proceedings. In civil court, when the plaintiff and the defendant have come to a mutual agreement before the verdict is rendered, they are said to have "settled."

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.