Associates Degrees
Bachelors Degrees

Is it a good idea to get a associates degree through an online college and try to apply it to a bachelors through a university?


Top Answer
User Avatar
Wiki User
2015-07-16 18:02:52
2015-07-16 18:02:52

It should not be a problem. However, you need to find out if the on-line university is regionally or nationally accredited Make sure the university is regionally and it should be recognized by any university. AIU On-line and University of Phoenix--the two most popular on-line universities--are regionally accredited. If you have a university in mind, call them and ask if an associates degree from AIU or UoP would transfer over to their school. All schools are different on what they will and will not accept, so I strongly suggest you contact them prior to enrolling in ANY school.

Once again we come to the issue on accreditation. If the school is of a quality university (Florida Metropolitan University (btw it has been around for over 100yrs)) You can start and finish your degree on-line, with the flexibility and quality what would be the motivation to go to a ground campus. Now with a associate you can find a better job then with a high school diploma, continue to work and go to school on your schedule instead of a ground campus.

It would probably be a better idea to take on-line classes from an established community college, college or university. Transferring credits from an "on-line only" school can be problematic.

For a definitive answer, go to the University you hope to someday attend, and ask if they would accept transfer credit from XYZ on-line college.

The colleges and Universities that I am familiar with (many), do not indicate on their transcript whether the course/program taken was a ground course or on-line. Just remember if you are taking an on-line course/degree, you must be disciplined in your study habits. You cannot be a procrastinator. Many feel on-line courses are easier. Let me assure you, they are not. That being said, here is something you should be aware of when it comes to the transferability of credits. Never depend 100% on what your current institution says is transferable to a particular college or university. You must ask the receiving institution. In addition, if you are taking courses through a community college, find out from your transfer counselor what articulations your college has with other four year institutions. Some have what is called a "Dual Admissions Program or "Joint Admissions Program" where if the student completes the program requirements successfully, they are guaranteed "Full Faith in Credit" upon transfer to that institution.

I have to disagree with online courses being harder - I found them incredibly easy. Just as long as you're able to keep to a schedule. =) I agree with the rest of the great advice here - check with the receiving college. Honestly you'd technically be touching on an associates while going for your bachelors, so why not just start off at the university?

Look for resources such as the one currently available in the State of California. . This helpful tools help you to check which courses might transfer from one college to a university.


Related Questions

User Avatar

you can get your associates and bachelors but most teachers have associates through specialist those are the most likely ones to get hired

User Avatar

Yes, that is the order that you receive your degrees in. Your masters would be after your bachelors and then a PhD for those who are pursuing one. You can get your associates through a community college and then transfer to a 4-year school to pursue your bachelors or you can apply directly to a 4-year school.

User Avatar

2 years for an associates, 4 years for a bachelors, 6 years for a Masters

User Avatar

The are a few options, however I would strongly recommend staying away from anything that is not a college or university based degree (such as a hospital based diploma program.) You can pursue a career as a registered nurse through the community college systems (associates degree), or pursue a bachelors degree in nursing (BSN) through a four year college or university.

User Avatar

Well if you know that you want to go ahead and get your bachelors in nursing there is no need to obtain your associates because you will still go through the same program and classes. It would just basically be an extension of classes from your associates. So If you want a bachelors in nursing, enroll in the bachelors nursing program, not the associates.

Copyright © 2020 Multiply Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved. The material on this site can not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with prior written permission of Multiply.